Using up pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

I thought that I could use up some blanks that will never see a pen kit by making them into toothpick holders.
Tried threading them with limited success so these are friction fit. IMG_2257.jpgIMG_2258.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joebobber

Such a shame those wouldn't see a kit. They definitely look great! Those threaded brass inserts from Prostaff work great for making needle holders or toothpick holders. They aren't too terribly expensive either, but shipping is...

Valleyboy

Yet more impressive blanks Alan, as usual.

If you ever feel so inclined to do something similar again then try these brass inserts from Prokraft that come in two different sizes and are very reasonable. I have a metal lathe but still buy these as it just isn't worth me spending the time to make them at these prices. They come in two sizes:

You can either rebate the brass inside the wood so its concealed (which would probably be your best option with your segmented blanks), or have it visible as a feature. These two I made with acetate using the smaller inserts, but you get the idea.

Cheers
Ash

tempImageMuiQmZ.jpg98CD42C4-C0D3-407C-A448-C27990EE61FC_1_201_a.jpeg

Alan Morrison

Such a shame those wouldn't see a kit. They definitely look great! Those threaded brass inserts from Prostaff work great for making needle holders or toothpick holders. They aren't too terribly expensive either, but shipping is...
Thanks for your comments, Joe.
Ash has given me details how to obtain brass inserts from UK, so I will try a few out with them.
I wasnt aware that they existed, so now I know.

Alan

Alan Morrison

That is a great idea. They look too good to not be used somehow if not on a pen.
Thanks Todd. I have a lot more of those segmented blanks, mostly prototypes or have wee defects. As I only sell a few pens and all my friends and relations have been given pens, it's a lot cheaper having a box of blanks than a box of pens. If someone wants a pen in a hurry they can choose a blank and I can just put it on a kit.

Alan Morrison

Yet more impressive blanks Alan, as usual.

If you ever feel so inclined to do something similar again then try these brass inserts from Prokraft that come in two different sizes and are very reasonable. I have a metal lathe but still buy these as it just isn't worth me spending the time to make them at these prices. They come in two sizes:

You can either rebate the brass inside the wood so its concealed (which would probably be your best option with your segmented blanks), or have it visible as a feature. These two I made with acetate using the smaller inserts, but you get the idea.

Cheers
Ash

View attachment 341094View attachment 341095
Thanks a lot for that, Ash. I wasnt aware of those before you showed. I will look Procraft up and order some.
Diolch yn fawr.

Valleyboy

Thanks a lot for that, Ash. I wasnt aware of those before you showed. I will look Procraft up and order some.
Diolch yn fawr.
It's a lovely shop with loads of interesting stuff for wood turning (not just pen making). If you were to get these then I imagine they won't be the only thing that falls into your basket šŸ˜Š

Top Bottom