Using PowerPoint for Kitless Pen Design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

I wrote up this article to show how I have been using PowerPoint to develop Kitless Pen Designs over the last couple weeks. As a former draftsman of 10 years and an Engineer for 25 it at first seem a major step backwards from my training. However, PowerPoint is what I had on my computer and I was itching to make some kitless pens during the lockdown. I have to say, I was surprised by how nicely it worked for laying things out. Dimensioning was barbaric but still not too bad. Hopefully someone can find some use and add to what I've documented. Giving directions on using software to the public can be a dangerous thing. This is meant for someone with some experience in PowerPoint using the drawing tools. Microsoft Word has very similar drawing tools and most if not all of what I've done in PowerPoint can be done in Word. What is better about PowerPoint is things go wherever on the page you want them without having to use the enter and space keys.

The pdf document are the instructions and there is also a PowerPoint file with scaled components you can use or misuse to your hearts content. I can't upload the file here but I can send it to you if you are interested. Just send me a PM.

Let me know your thoughts as always,

Danny

Copper Kitless Clicker Plans.png

Attachments

• PowerPoint Drafting.pdf
    980.6 KB · Views: 336
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@More4dan

Danny, I applaud you for making this available.

Wish I had a better grasp of computers and some knowledge of how I could use this in what I am doing.

Just today I was making a kitless pen ... at the workbench without having meticulously planned it beforehand.
Already I have forgotten how I arrived at the lengths and diameters that I used.

I am sure that something like this would have been a big help, even from a documentation point of view.

Maybe it is time for me to jump in the deep end ! . That's it .... I am sending you a request for what you offered above !!

Will I need to buy the PowerPoint software ?

Last edited:

randyrls

To Join the Thread; If you are interested in layout and design, checkout DesignSpark Mechanical. It is a fully 3D CAD program. AND it's free.
Sketchup is a bit easier and has a free version as well
Of the two, DesignSpark is more powerful, but harder to learn. Sketchup is simpler but not as flexible.

More4dan

To Join the Thread; If you are interested in layout and design, checkout DesignSpark Mechanical. It is a fully 3D CAD program. AND it's free.
Sketchup is a bit easier and has a free version as well
Of the two, DesignSpark is more powerful, but harder to learn. Sketchup is simpler but not as flexible.

Thank, I will check them out!

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

WarEagle90

Danny, you did a great job with the design considering the vast limitations of Power Point. Another option is Fusion 360. It is an Autodesk product and is free for hobbyist. It is a full 3D design package with no limitations that I've found and is very intuitive. With your background you will love it. I've used Sketchup and for architectural models it is great, but Fusion is intended for mechanical design which is what you are doing. Give it a try.

More4dan

Danny, you did a great job with the design considering the vast limitations of Power Point. Another option is Fusion 360. It is an Autodesk product and is free for hobbyist. It is a full 3D design package with no limitations that I've found and is very intuitive. With your background you will love it. I've used Sketchup and for architectural models it is great, but Fusion is intended for mechanical design which is what you are doing. Give it a try.

Thanks, I will. I just received delivery of a new personal laptop this week, so I can try it out. My work laptop doesn't permit me adding software. It's been a while since doing solids modeling, will be fun.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

I like what you've done here Danny. I'm not an engineer but what I see makes sense (kinda, remember I'm not an engineer). With your write up I can understand what's being done and I'm sure with some study and asking questions I can probably figure this out. Thanks for sharing and keeping it simple for bone heads like me 🤔

howsitwork

Danny

really appreciate you taking the time to show this. I think I can follow it and dimensioning sure helps.

Like Mal I have a number of projects on the go at once. Some are even on the go for a second or third time and I still can't recall where I stored the hardware !🤦‍♂️

AdventiveIowa

This is amazing. I'll throw in another recommendation for Fusion 360 if you want something easier to work with than PowerPoint. As an engineer that was trained on Pro/E (Creo) and now uses Solidworks daily, I dislike the way Fusion 360 works fundamentally, but it gets the job done and it's fairly intuitive. It's very high quality for a product that you can use for free.

-Hank

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

More4dan

Thanks Hank, it's been 28 years since I used 3D solids modeling software back in college. My new computer is here and it's time to relearn some old tricks. Thanks for the recommendation folks.

Danny

More4dan

I've been playing with Fusion 360 for 2 evenings now and starting to get the hang of it. Not for the weak at heart but learnable. My last 3d solids modeling work was in college in the early 90's. Here is my first try modeling a kitless pen body. This could be almost as much fun as turning.

JOWO #5 FP with M11 Cap Thread v3.png

Thanks everyone for pointing to Fusion 360, it's amazingly competent and it's free.

Danny

magpens

Thanks for posting this, Danny.

It is good to see what can be done with 3-d modelling software, even tho' I feel too intimidated to try it at this time.
I can see huge advantages to being able to use such software so might get inspired to take the plunge !!

Please keep us posted if it's not too much hassle for you to do so.

I am wondering if it is possible ... eventually - not now ... for the viewer to rotate pictures like you show immediately above in order to get the full 3-d viewing.

AdventiveIowa

I know in Solidworks you can output a 3D-PDF which viewers can rotate, or you can output it to an .stl file which paint3D (built into Windows) can view.

I don't know if Fusion can output 3D-PDFs, but I'm pretty sure it can do .stl files

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
I wrote up this article to show how I have been using PowerPoint to develop Kitless Pen Designs over the last couple weeks. As a former draftsman of 10 years and an Engineer for 25 it at first seem a major step backwards from my training. However, PowerPoint is what I had on my computer and I was itching to make some kitless pens during the lockdown. I have to say, I was surprised by how nicely it worked for laying things out. Dimensioning was barbaric but still not too bad. Hopefully someone can find some use and add to what I've documented. Giving directions on using software to the public can be a dangerous thing. This is meant for someone with some experience in PowerPoint using the drawing tools. Microsoft Word has very similar drawing tools and most if not all of what I've done in PowerPoint can be done in Word. What is better about PowerPoint is things go wherever on the page you want them without having to use the enter and space keys.

The pdf document are the instructions and there is also a PowerPoint file with scaled components you can use or misuse to your hearts content. I can't upload the file here but I can send it to you if you are interested. Just send me a PM.

Let me know your thoughts as always,

Danny

View attachment 237933

Danny,

I just found this post, Wow! This belongs in our library.

More4dan

Danny
Are you using the free version of Fusion 360? If so, how are you adjusting to the new restrictions.
Fusion 360 won't work on my shop 'puter anymore so I'm switching to FreeCAD.
Regards
Mike

I've not done much since the restrictions came out. I'll be sure to check out FreeCAD, thanks.

Danny

Herman

Many thanks Danny. Sometimes we forget some simple tools. Powerpoint is relatively simple and keep records of projects is very important.

Top Bottom