Using A Bench While Woodturning...Dealing with back pain, and other frailties

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Recently, in the process of selecting/purchasing a new lathe, I was in a discussion with my brother, who does a lot of bowl turning. He is well aware of my issues, which include persistent back pain, and my lack of balance (I am unable to stand in one place without holding on to something). He told me of a video he had seen that featured a specialized bench for turning. This is the video:

Until now, I have been using an adjustable height stool, with wheels. I have had my lathe on a low bench. That has worked very well for pen turning for years. But I am about to shift my focus to turning bowls, platters and hollow vessels. (NO worries, still doing pens too!;)) This other type of turning demands much more mobility at the lathe, putting my whole body into the process. After viewing and studying this bench video, I am preparing to build a specialty bench, and a standard height lathe stand for my new Powermatic 2014 Lathe. The lathe should be on a truck somewhere, heading my way. I expect to post a review of the lathe some time soon. So far, all I have seen are the available sales and website photos. Fun awaits!

I believe anyone who experiences difficulty standing at the lathe could benefit greatly from using some adaptation of the bench presented by Ernie Conover in the above mentioned video. I hope to post a review of my own efforts at building and using my turner's bench, once it is a reality.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

The first time I looked at this thread, after posting it, the video started immediately...not my intention! I had just listed the address. Oh well! Sometimes 'Tech' just does what it wants to do, never mind me o_O

jttheclockman

Boy recently I have felt like I have joined a fraternity here. People with back and hip pain and working in a shop. Over the years I always have had back issues but they have increased the older I get and this year probably the worse. bending over is where all hell breaks loose and have the most problems. Standing for long periods also but i can deal with that. I guess whatever we do to help make things easier and at the same time be safe is a plus because we all love shop time. That is where I am the happiest and calmest. In my own little world. And it is actually others that do shop time that can relate. Wives and outsiders just do not get it. :)

Tilt

I have to use something. With my Multiple Sclerosis, balance and pain is 24/7. So I have to adapt and watch how long I stay in the shop. Been doing a lot on the CNC lately. Up graded the x-carve from 1000mmx1000mm to 48"x 54". and changed the z-drive to a direct drive 6' travel. Will see about the 4th axis and see how pen turning works, I still haven't found the "Golden Years" yet. If anyone has them and got an extra, I'll take it....lol

SteveG

I enjoy seeing other turners ideas and responses. Thanks!

I wanted to test the viability of Ernie's bench, so rigged up a makeshift 'bench'. It feels like it will work great. A few years ago I participated in past threads on this topic of turning while seated, and was able to help some to get it working. That was for pens. I am curious now to hear from anyone who needs support or to lean while turning larger items, and how they solved the issues. The solution in the video seems like the best answer so far. Any help?

Top Bottom