Used tablesaw? I could use some advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Painfullyslow

So I am working with an old and very inaccurate Ryobi fold away table saw which doesn't even have miter slots in it which is not up to snuff for my current needs.

My main purpose for this saw will be penmaking which means sleds. I will get a rip fence at some point but it is not a priority.

I have a few choices open to me in the used market. One is a direct-drive 10" Delta Shopmaster. Ordinarily I would not hesitate with a Delta saw however I am unfamiliar with the Shopmaster line and am worried that it is a cheap entry saw.

277611697_5683154151714706_8736907190438677450_n.png

My second option is an older Craftsman 10" belt driven model. Overall it looks to be in better shape than the Delta, I am simply unsure of quality of the Craftsman line in this arena.

278048754_4985525654845013_4459070790007505919_n.jpg

Finally, what should I be looking for in a table saw when buying used? Are there any specifics other than the obvious; motor runs and there is no play in the blade?

Once again, thank you all in advance for sharing your experience with this woodworking newbie.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

The older Craftsman saws with the cast iron table and wings were decent quality. I am sure others will have input as to features to look for - my two main concerns with the Craftsman saw you are showing is that it is a contractor style saw - this usually means it is open at the bottom, so sawdust goes everywhere. You can find directions on the internet for how to contain the sawdust - I believe Craftsman used to offer a dust collection bag that attached to the bottom of the saw. The back is also typically open (the motor hangs off the back, and the belt runs between the motor and the blade arbor), so you can fashion something to close off the back.

The second concern with the contractor saw is the noise. These things are crazy loud, so be sure to always wear hearing protection in addition to Safety glasses.

other things to look for is a solid, true fence that locks down at the front and back (some only lock down in the front). The fence locking mechanism must lock securely to prevent any movement. You can typically make adjustments to the fence to ensure it is parallel to the miter slots and the blade.

I used to have a Delta contractor saw, which worked great, but I had the issues I mention above. I finally upgraded to a Grizzly cabinet saw, which contains the dust pretty well, and is much quieter.

moke

I started with the Craftsman...just like that one...it is a solid well built saw. The fence leaves a a little to be desired. See if you can find a used unifence or find a newer fence and add it to that saw when you get the cash.....It is loud, a little underpowered, and an impossible task to get good dust collection.... but short of spending a thousand or two, a very good alternative. As you journey through woodworking you will find it is more a marathon than a sprint. Improve the quality of your tools as you go.

This a solid saw-----the Delta has stamped wings and in poorer shape. I have seen some home built table with built in drawers, out feeds, and other tools. Search Youtube and make it really cool. But use those cast wings in your design, they are dead flat usually.

Just my .02

RGVPens

"My main purpose for this saw will be penmaking which means sleds. "

What else are you going to use it for...and how often? Think about any woodworking you are doing now or want to start doing.
In my case I set up to make cutting boards, blanket chests, and some other small to medium furniture...when I had the big shop.

I had a cheap Kobalt fold up table saw, so I know your pain. A year ago, I got a big Delta, we're traveling now so I can't go look for the model. It's probably just under the Unisaw. What a dream to use! I built work benches, large storage shelves, etc. But...I had a 18' x 30' shop building at the time. Now we have moved back to south TX, think Mexican border, and I converted a casita to a wood shop, WAY less room. I do scroll saw art and went down the pen rabbit hole, so I don't need a lot of room. I also have a Planer, Jointer, Power combination miter saw...all bought in the last 1-1 1/2yrs.

The point is...yes, I actually have a point lol... I've changed what I make vs shop size and am thinking seriously about a good band saw. I would "thin the heard" on the other equipment. I'm thinking a band saw, and a good sled or two, would do most of what I need for turning in general. It would also serve me well for my scrolling.

monophoto

Let me mention one other saw characteristic that may be important - - - if you are using the saw for pen making, and cutting blanks, one thing you may need to do is cut at an angle.

There are two ways that table saws cut at angles - by tiling the arbor, or by tilting the table. My experience with an old Delta saw with a tilting table is that cutting angles is a PITA.

jttheclockman

Stay away from the direct drive saws of any kind. My opinion. Yes others will come on here and tell you they have had good use from some but they are job site saws. They are noisy, they can be and usually are smaller in size, which makes easier to carry to jobs. and thus cutting capacity is diminished, much more vibration prone because the motor transfers the vibration to blade as where as belt driven it is absorbed. Less HP. The older craftsman saws were a good saw. My Dad owned one and passed it on to me and I used it for quite some time before I went with a Delta.

Between the 2 you shown I would choose neither. Sorry. But if really forced i would pick Craftsman because of the cast iron table. The motor can always be changed if need be. But the downfall on that type saw is the knuckle crusher wings. That was a poor concept but was done to reduce weight with the honeycombed wings. as you push material along those your fingers can get caught in one of the holes. You can not use to store things on top because they fall through. People have changed them out if you want to go that route.

Now I probably should add a few things here to clarify my thoughts. Job site saws are not all bad and do what they are designed to do but have pros and cons. If you are looking for a saw you can place in the shop then look for a direct drive saw weather it is a contractor saw, cabinet saw, or even a hybrid saw, they will fit your needs more so for other things than cutting pen blanks. Each type saw has it own pros and cons and will not break them all down here. You ask what to look for when buying a saw. The basics are ask yourself what you want to do with it? If you are cutting large panels then you want one with cutting capacity which means wings and or extension tables. The motor HP is a concern 1-1/2HP for contractor saw is fine. Does it run well. Does it come with a quality fence and miter gauge? (these things can be add ons later) Does the motor arbor have runout? That is a big one but not easy to detect without gauges. The old quick dirty way is to start and stop the saw and watch the back end of the blade and focus on a fixed point on the table and see if it wobbles. the problem with that is the blade can be the culprit too. Again parts can be replaced. Are you concerned with catching dust? If so then your market narrows to cabinet or Hybrid. Even though a contractor saw can be made somewhat dust free but not easy. Tuning saws takes time but well worth it. Again features such as switch location, stands weather on wheels or not, quality fence and miter gauge, non table tilting (is good, ) motor HP, ease of raising and lower blade and tilting mechanism should be easy and lockable, blades can be replaced.

Last edited:
I agree with Mike @moke. I've had a Craftsman saw for many years but last year I got a Jet and left the Craftsman at the cabin. They can be loud and do require some expertise in getting them tuned in but once you get it to how you like it they're great. Just my opinion, I would stay away from direct drive saw. I've seen too many people put a slight bend on the arbor which just creates a small Dado blade. But again, this is just my opinion. Good luck on your hunt.

jttheclockman

I need to make a correction in a statement.

If you are looking for a saw you can place in the shop then look for a direct drive saw weather it is a contractor saw, cabinet saw, or even a hybrid saw, they will fit your needs more so for other things than cutting pen blanks.

Meant to say belt drive and not direct drive. Sorry.

Curly

Keep looking until a better saw comes along like this one that was on FB Marketplace (Alberta). It needs a fence but there are decent aftermarket ones available. It is also a 110V 1 1/2 hp machine but if all you want it for is segmenting and lighter duty work it is fine. The price is $90Cad which is about $72US. It does have the open extension tables but the saw could easily be turned into a gem. Admittedly deals like this are rare but they do come up. If I didn't already have two table saws I'd be all over it.

277258964_5209746829089973_7062285870498032564_n.jpg

boatemp

I opted for a Bosch job site saw and a Rousseau table. The Table: This table can be modified front back or either side. It can be folded when not in use. A router can be added to it. With this setup you can add most ANY saw you want.
Whatever your choice, do the research. Too many variables to consider.

Here's a picture of what my very old Craftsman 8" saw did for me at my cabin. Sorry for the photo but this deck is 56' long by 8' wide and I did not include the deck itself. All of this wood was harvested off my property and finished by my wife and me, all Douglas Fir, I guess I'm just saying don't dismiss an older table saw, they can hold their own if tuned properly.

IMG_20190816_180518.jpg

randyrls

One "upgrade" I would suggest for any belt driven saw is a link belt. This eliminates a lot of vibration. When the saw sits for a long time, the belt develops a "set". If removed from the saw, the belt will not be round but more like an oval.

jttheclockman

One "upgrade" I would suggest for any belt driven saw is a link belt. This eliminates a lot of vibration. When the saw sits for a long time, the belt develops a "set". If removed from the saw, the belt will not be round but more like an oval.
Good suggestion.

moke

Here's a picture of what my very old Craftsman 8" saw did for me at my cabin. Sorry for the photo but this deck is 56' long by 8' wide and I did not include the deck itself. All of this wood was harvested off my property and finished by my wife and me, all Douglas Fir, I guess I'm just saying don't dismiss an older table saw, they can hold their own if tuned properly.

IMG_20190816_180518.jpg

Wow Wolf....that is awesome, congratualtions an that! What a great place....

IMG_20190816_180518.jpg

Wow Wolf....that is awesome, congratualtions an that! What a great place....
Thanks Moke. Took some time but we love it there. We had to move late last year but we always have this to go back to.

Top Bottom