use of vacuum pump

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerGarrett

Hi Everyone,

I've read the archives, and I've done searches using the search engine at IAP - and I've read just about everything on this subject I can find. I've read a few tutorials, and I still have many questions, so please bear with me, and if you have answers and can help, that would be great. Feel free to PM me if you feel it is information that is repetitive and is a waste of time to share here (I would certainly understand).

I recently purchased a Vacuum pump, hooked to a filter and muffler - running off of 220. It will be used to stabilize pre-cut blanks (for personal use). I've read all the opinions regarding what product to use to stabilize, and what kind of container to use in conjunction with the pump, and I'm now ready to actually hook up a pickle jar to this thing (well, I have to buy the gallon pickle jar complete with pickles, but that's ok).

I am mechanically challenged when it comes to plumbing, and while I can rebuild brakes and wheel cylinders on my antique car, build almost any furniture, and play a musical instrument well - this kind of stuff eludes me - and I make no excuses - I just don't always get it. So - I am looking for some clear, concise, picture-related help to advise me how to hook this vacuum up to a glass pickle jar (which I think will work just fine). I've read the opinions about glass jars, etc., but for blank stabilization, I think this will work without any problem.

As far as I can tell, I need to get some connectors that will drill into the lid of the jar, seal the connection, seal the lid that screws to the jar, get a gauge that shows the vacuum drawn, and a shut-off valve that goes, I assume) somewhere between the vacuum pump and the jar. If specific products from specific stores (Lowes, Menards, etc.) can be listed - I can purchase them and hook it up.

I have no idea what I'm doing - just that I understand the concept of drawing air out of a container, thus, pulling liquid through the wood and allowing it to harden.

Forgive me in advance for repetition of an old subject - but you will be doing me a big favor if you could spell it out carefully, clearly, and with photos.

*sigh*

Best wishes,
Roger Garrett

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Here is what I've used for about a year now http://tinyurl.com/27qftd
The ones from Black and Decker will crack, so avoid them.

I stabilize with poly.

mrplace

Woww Ron, how much vacuum have you pulled on them?

I can stabalise and use for weekend BBQ's, a true multi-task tool.[:D][:p][:D]

I may have to get one of the square ones, I like the idea of being able to get to everything easier. Downside, the bubbles may bet to the lid easier.

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Here is what I've used for about a year now http://tinyurl.com/27qftd

Ron,

Can you post pictures of your setup?

Does anyone have information about connectors - where, what kind, and how to install?

Best,
Roger Garrett

My vacuum would pull 24# when I last checked. My setup doesn't have a gauge permanently attached.

Now all I do is pull a vacuum and when I see bubbles coming out of the wood, I pull the hose off. I come back an hour later, check to see if the blanks are still submersed. I pull some vacuum again, sometimes I see more bubbles, sometimes not. The next day I take the blanks out.

One thing I didn't mention, and I don't know if the other tutorials have either. But I pre-drill my blanks about 1/16" undersized before I stabilize them. My thinking is the poly can be absorbed from the inside and outside. I never really did any tests to prove or disprove this, it just makes sense to me.

When the blanks are dry I then drill them to size.

BTW - No attachments or connectors, just a hose directly to the canister.

RogerGarrett

<br />BTW - No attachments or connectors, just a hose directly to the canister.

In order to retain a seal there must be some kind of connector on the end of the hose, on the lid of the jar, and some way to seal the lid of the jar to the glass jar.........

Does anyone have this information? Pictures of a setup?

Best wishes,
Roger Garrett

Originally posted by RogerGarrett
<br />
<br />BTW - No attachments or connectors, just a hose directly to the canister.

In order to retain a seal there must be some kind of connector on the end of the hose, on the lid of the jar, and some way to seal the lid of the jar to the glass jar.........

That is what nice about the foodsaver containers, everything is all built into the lid.

Fred

The food saver plastic canisters will react (experienced it) with the solvent in many products. This in turn weakens the walls of the canister and you can and probably will experience a failure.

If one can solder a fitting into the lid of a 'pickle jar' or a Mason / Ball canning glass container that fits the vacuum hose, then a very good vacuum can be obtained. It's NOT the amount of vacuum but instead the time under vacuum that makes the process work. I usually work at around 10 - 15 pounds of vacuum. This lower vacuum retains the solvent in the stabilization material used a bit longer. Lower pressures result in rapid 'boiling' of the solvent and thus a thicker working solution. On Earth at sea level it is impossible to pull a vacuum lower than 30 pounds, besides, less often helps us out in the process.

Pre-drilling to within a few thousandths is wise. Pre-turning also helps with absorption of the material as well. Both reduce the amount of material needed. Be sure you have more than enough to cover the wood blanks and allow for absorption.

Pull a vacuum and clamp off the hose to hold the vacuum for as long as possible. It may be necessary to reapply the vacuum several times until the blanks sink into the solution. Remove the blanks and allow to dry thoroughly, then re-drill and re-turn to the size needed.

Be sure nd ALWAYS have adequate ventillation and plenty of fresh air. These solvents are bad for one's health.

KenV

While for vacuum pressing, the joe woodworker site has a lot of general vacuum piping pictures, valving, etc that can serve as a guide. Google on joe woodworker -- and you may find good ideas for making laminates and wild glueups for other turnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom