Upgrading a Jet 1014

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

roasterbob

Hello all,
My wife, the turner in the house was just gifted a Jet 1014 mini lathe. It's in fabulous condition. We have a question about the idea of adding a digital speed control to it in addition to the manual method (that already exists obviously) of moving the band.
Is this possible or even necessary.
thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
There are some digital controllers that come with a different motor, such as this: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT2.html

Finding a VS system to work on the 1014 motor will be very difficult, but probably can be done if you are an electrical engineer.

VS systems are very helpful and time savers, as they eliminate a lot of belt swapping, The motor and VS system in the link above can be adjusted on the internal settings to change the speed ranges. I have that motor and VS system on my Rikon lathe, which I have had for about 15 years and it works well for me.

I have the belt in one position and with the minor settings inside the VS electronics I get 50 RPM to about 2800 RPM just by turning the knob. There are a couple of threads on this forum that tell how to do it.

roasterbob

There are some digital controllers that come with a different motor, such as this: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT2.html

Finding a VS system to work on the 1014 motor will be very difficult, but probably can be done if you are an electrical engineer.

VS systems are very helpful and time savers, as they eliminate a lot of belt swapping, The motor and VS system in the link above can be adjusted on the internal settings to change the speed ranges. I have that motor and VS system on my Rikon lathe, which I have had for about 15 years and it works well for me.

I have the belt in one position and with the minor settings inside the VS electronics I get 50 RPM to about 2800 RPM just by turning the knob. There are a couple of threads on this forum that tell how to do it.
Thank you! I'll take a look at the conversion it.

dogcatcher

Sewing Machine servo motors
A little reading about sewing machine servo motors.

Another source for variable speed - Shopsmith Forums

Mine loses power at slower speeds

I also have a micro lathe powered by a Fotedom motor with a foot controller or a desk top speed controller

walshjp17

Hello all,
My wife, the turner in the house was just gifted a Jet 1014 mini lathe. It's in fabulous condition. We have a question about the idea of adding a digital speed control to it in addition to the manual method (that already exists obviously) of moving the band.
Is this possible or even necessary.
thanks
I upgraded my very (very!!) old Jet 1014 (so old it was in the original blue color) with the Penn State variable speed upgrade kit several years ago. I am not an engineer of any kind and was able to do the upgrade successfully merely by following the instructions in the kit. I am very happy with the result and use this as a spare/demonstration/buffing station lathe.

Top Bottom