Upcoming surgery & need distracting topics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
So, I have an upcoming surgery in mid August and will likely be out of commission in the shop for 2-4 weeks (maybe longer depending on the recovery which I hear is an exhausting/low energy time). On the bright side, those weeks of recovery will be during the thickest, soupiest, hottest times of year here in south eastern TN, so it will be nice to be inside in the AC and not out in a metal barn/shop, but I'll be wistfully wishing I was out there anyway.

My recovery time will be perfect for mindlessly watching/learning new things and i need some ideas. Any YouTube recommendations or blogs that you guys like to use to improve your skills or find inspiration? I've watched a lot of RJB (I think that his initials- my husband calls him "mr always welcome in his shop" ☺️) but any others you guys like? I browse the "recommended for you" but it's super hit and miss. I probably spend most of my down time watching curiosity stream (history is my thing- but since History channel never shows history programs anymore and is all swamp people and ice truckers I have to get my history fix elsewhere on curiosity stream).

But feel free to drop links to any YouTube or blogs you guys like to watch or use for education. ☺️

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

If you haven't already, check out the Silver Meister on YT. He is a Korean silver artist who makes some of the most spectacular writing instruments (and yes, he does use kits).

jttheclockman

Being you are into pen turning, spend hours looking back on older threads here. Look through the Bash photos and threads. Check out the segmenting forums and get ideas to try. Check out the casting forums here and get some ideas. Learn watch part casting. To go along with those there are many utube videos on the subjects. You can spend hours here just on this forum.

howsitwork

Watching casting forums can be very interesting ( if a bit of a worry as it's a slippery slope to follow !).

highland boxes is always worth an afternoon.

Then there's hand thread chasing look for Alan Batty he did several excellent videos for craft supplies usa .

Cindy Drozda is always worth watching too.

Once you get bored with turning try "double boost "who should intrigue your husband too with his engineering know how ( and cooking demonstrations, yes I am serious if a little concerned at some of his recipe hints🤷‍♂️ ) .Be warned John calls a spade a f###ing shivol etc so as he drops heavy objects on his feet or hot things as he heat treats stuff or casts iron setting fire to the broom and workbench the language becomes a little "heated" shall we say.

As for reading material Terry Pratchett should be on your list somewhere if you like humour and science fiction mixed with A bit of magic .

Here's wishing you a rapid recovery

Ian

TDahl

Gabe Castro has some great videos on pen segmenting (some of his audio is very low). Zack Higgins from NV Woodwerks has some great videos on casting, and of course there are the videos from Mark Dreyer ("Ten minutes to Better Pen Making).

Bosch, Jack Ryan on Netflix. Look at a bunch of CSUSA turning videos, they are excellent. Books by Lee Child, Brad Thor, David Baldachi (sic).
I might rewatch the Jack Ryan series- they are SO GOOD! I wasn't expecting much but I was blown away! Can't wait until the next season!

Alan Morrison

Hello Lauren,
Some YT suggestions:
1947 papa
grandpa amu
Capt. eddie castelin

Book: The Lord of the Rings......far better than watching the films.

Hope all goes well for you.
Alan

Top Bottom