Unexpected Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

This was just cutoffs that rose from the ashes. I threw them all away and then had an idea. Probably won't yield a fantastic pen , but right now, it's a seriously cool blank .

Attachments

• IMG_3931.jpeg
    IMG_3931.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I agree with Steve for the finial. The lines are tight, the overall profile is good. I like the choice for timbers also. My only nitpic is the end grain with the 'whitish' wood - I really prefer side grain for finial ends, but this truly is very minor.

Well done.

KenB259

I agree with Steve for the finial. The lines are tight, the overall profile is good. I like the choice for timbers also. My only nitpic is the end grain with the 'whitish' wood - I really prefer side grain for finial ends, but this truly is very minor.

Well done.
The "whitish" wood is yellow heart, and in reality is very yellow. I probably will do nothing with this, the glue up was on a whim. It will be a shop conversation piece 😂

sorcerertd

It would look good just cut into slices and made into Christmas ornaments (or something similar).

Or sliced and glued back at an angle? Maybe just each layer turned (offset) slightly? Hmm, possibilities...

Last edited:

jrista

Finial material, for sure!! Maybe even a circular inlay for, say, the cap of a box? Cool design. I'd try and find ways to use it such that the design really does show. You might also use it as a circular inlay for the bottom of a bowl. Probably other possibilities.

KenB259

Finial material, for sure!! Maybe even a circular inlay for, say, the cap of a box? Cool design. I'd try and find ways to use it such that the design really does show. You might also use it as a circular inlay for the bottom of a bowl. Probably other possibilities.
This is a distinct possibility. I could sink it down in a box top and surround it with resin.

bugradx2

That's gorgeous! I agree depending on size that could be a killer Christmas ornament. Same to be said if you were to slice and use as coasters. it's almost too pretty to turn down to a pen! Show that figure off!

I think the idea of a pepper mill, wine stopper or something with multiple profiles would be cool.

Top Bottom