Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Pen 6

Votes: 11 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Here are the 6 entries into the Youth under 14 pen making contest. We have some very talented young people that make amazing pens not matter what their age. Look thdm over carefully and decide which pen is the best one. We will only have one poll for this contest so pick wisely.

Pen 1
Age 11

The pen is a Chrome BulletPen with a Seven Seas Orange blank. This is the 3rd pen. I turned the pen and sanded it down, it all went pretty well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Parent Disclosure: I cut, drilled, backpainted and prepped the blank. He did all of the rest.

Pen 2
Age 12
This is the first pen he has turned. He did the turning and finishing,

attachment.php

Parent Disclosure; I coached. I assembled due to lack of proper equipment.

Pen 3
Age 10

It is the first pen he has turned.

attachment.php

Parent Disclosure: I verbally coached him, but he did all the turning himself. I assembled the pen as I have to use clamps.

Pen 4
Age 13

The very first thing that I did to make it was that I decided on a piece of Buckeye Burl and the type of the pen (a Junior Gent II). Then I took the buckeye burl and stabilized and dyed one third of it blue. Then I dyed and stabilized another third of it yellow. After that, I dyed the remaining third green. Once it was all dyed and stabilized, I took it and I sawed off a chunk of the blue, put it in a chuck, and turned it into a finial. I then put on a CA finish and started to sand it until I noticed a dull spot in the finish. I had apparently gone through the finish. I then put on more CA and started to sand it again before I noticed that I had gone through the finish again. I did another finish and then finally I got it done. I then sawed it off. I then glued it to the end of the pen and glued the tubes into the other parts of the pen after I had drilled it. I then turned down the blanks, but I made yet another mistake. I had turned it down too far. My Dad J then helped me decide what to do. We eventually decided to build it back up with a huge CA finish. I put on layers upon layers upon layers of CA until I finally had it up to a good size. I then started to sand it down, but the CA had all sorts of pits and dips in it that we could not sand out. We then filled them with more CA and then sanded them down to the right size. We got it nice and smooth, and then I polished it and put it together.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Disclosure: I got to spend hours talking with my daughter. I made sure the equipment was operating properly and safely. I talked her through every step. I helped measure with calipers and I did a small amount of sanding on the finish, that was it.

Pen 5

Age 8
The pen is a Chrome Sierra with an Osage Orange blank. This is probably his 5th or so pen. He overturned it a bit but some extra sanding and CA helped.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Disclosure: Due to his age & safety reasons a parent had significant hands on (or partial hands on) during most of the production of this pen.

Pen 6
Age 12
She decided that she wanted a stratus pen with stained glass lavabright acrylic on it. She completed this pen with no assistance from me at all. She loves it and plans to keep it for herself. She didn't run into any major problems while turning this pen.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• pen 1a.jpg
    pen 1a.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 598
  • pen 1b.jpg
    pen 1b.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 619
  • pen 1c.jpg
    pen 1c.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 638
  • pen 2 a.jpeg
    pen 2 a.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 586
  • pen 3b.JPG
    pen 3b.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 546
  • pen 4a.jpg
    pen 4a.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 638
  • pen 4b.jpg
    pen 4b.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 566
  • pen 4c.jpg
    pen 4c.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 578
  • pen 5a.jpg
    pen 5a.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 552
  • pen 5b.jpg
    pen 5b.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 696
  • pen 5c.jpg
    pen 5c.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 554
  • pen 6a.jpg
    pen 6a.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 533
  • pen 6b.jpg
    pen 6b.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 520
  • pen 6c.jpg
    pen 6c.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magier412

Another group of great pens - made even more impressive by the ages of the turners!

I especially liked to hear how the turners dealt with issues that arose during the course of the build. We all encounter these things from time to time, and it's nice to hear that these young people are learning critical thinking skills!

Well done and congratulations to all!

~~ Kay

Dale Lynch

Mighty fine works here in the under 14 contest.You kids have guts entering a IAP challenge,the competition can get pretty fierce around here.

deedubl

Wow, this is so impressive! Some of these kids do stuff that I haven't even attempted yet.

All of them are definitely great to see! Hard to choose just one.
This is some tough competition.

Top Bottom