Ultrasonic Cleaner Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

Question for you all.

I have been using an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner to clean off the parts of the kitless pens I have begun making. It works very well on alumilite parts and I also use it to clean things like nibs (both assembled and disassembled) and converters.

So, here is the question... has anyone used an ultrasonic cleaner on pen parts containing wood that is finished with CA?

This could be either hybrid cast material or sleeved wood. I would like to be able to use the cleaner to get the dust, debris, and oils off of the machined areas, but am concerned about the CA finished wood portions.

P.S. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong category

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Not sure I get it. Why not just take a soft cloth and wipe. use a little polish if you have stains. So easy. Nibs and things like that I can see. They are like jewelry.

d_bondi

Not sure I get it. Why not just take a soft cloth and wipe. use a little polish if you have stains. So easy. Nibs and things like that I can see. They are like jewelry.

Fair observation, I guess I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

I don't mean every day type cleaning, a soft cloth, microfiber, etc. works great for that.

I'm talking about when I have just finished making/finishing the part, so the debris and cutting fluid (eg. WD40) is stuck in/to the threads of the ebonite/alumilite/acrylic portions.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Since ultrasonics work by cavitation you may have surface degradation fairly quickly. Depending on the strength of the ultrasonic and the softness and porosity of the material it could really tear up the surface. I would make up test pieces and run timed tests on them to see how they holdup.

Kenny Durrant

Not sure if this pertains to your question but maybe something to think about. I use to use one to help remove bubbles when casting. The cleaner just had water and I was using an upright mold made of plastic tubing and silicone plugs. I was casting a watch face and when I put it in the cleaner the vibration took the paint right off the face of the watch. I'm sure the resin softened the paint but it didn't take much to knock it off.

Top Bottom