Types of dyes that are usable?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mwwoodworks

OK, I am slowly getting a small amount of the needed items to try casting. I am trying to get an idea of what types of colorants I can use that I should be able to get localy. (Micheals, Harbor freight, etc.) I don't know where I read it, but I remember reading that you can use almost anything to color the PR for casting? (ex. powder coat paints.) I was looking at Micheals today and they only had a very small selection of the mica pearl pigments and needless to say, they were a bit pricey. I was wondering if some of you would share some everyday products that might be able to be purchased from a local art stores that I can use to color some PR. I am trying to get my feet wet without spending a ton of money. I also would like to know if anyone happens to know right off hand if "fiberglass resin" is or is not the same thing as casting resin just with a different label? Thanks for any help I can get!

P.S. I would like to try to pour something within the next few days, so I am not trying to order anything online at this time. I bought a small can of casting resin and a set of the liquid dyes but I don't think I am going to be able to get any really good colors from them!? I may be wrong though. he he

Mark in VA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

I use teh casting craft resin dyes and pearl ex powders, but the best thing that I have used to get good deep colors is powdered pure pigments. These are available in any 'real' art store and are used by any artist who mixes his own paints. You can buy these pigments in every color you can imagine so you don't have to fret about repeating a successful mix ratio. Also, a little goes a very long way.

The downside to using these powdered pigments is, like many things we play with, you don't want to breathe them in. Wear a mask.

rdunn12

I agree with Scott and Steve Pearl Ex is pricey but a little goes a long ways.You can even mix them to get different colors.I go to Hobby Lobby to get pearl ex because 90% of the time the price is marked on the pearl ex incorrectly.Normal price for .5 ounce is 4.99.I have found if I look through the bin they will be marked from 2.99 to 4.99 for the same color in the same container in the same bin.And sometimes my local hobby lobby runs sales on artist supplies and you can get another 40-50% off.I have paid as little as 1.50 for a 4.99 container of pearl ex.

bitshird

I use the liquid dyes from U.S. composites, and pearl Ex, Hobby lobby also caries the primary colors of liquid colorant (somewhere near the casting and pearl Ex, the primary colors can be blended to get about any color you want, just a drop or two of the opaque colors per OZ of PR will work fine, too much retards the gel and setup time so be careful.:):)

dscm1

Some one told me you could use water based paint to tint. Is that a good tint for the beginner or will it even work, because if it did that would open up a lot of different options and at a low price.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
hmmm I don't think water based will work. Water causes PR and Alumilite to bubble. I've never tried it, though, so I could be wrong.

I know people that use automotive paints and they work well.

GK

ldb2000

I buy all my casting pigments and mica pearls from Coastal Scents and have found their quality to be top rate and good prices and very fast shipping .
Jcollazo also sells some of their powders here on the IAP at a better price and is a great guy to buy from .

Top Bottom