Two Tube Casting Experiments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Todd in PA

Todd in PA

I haven't posted a pen in a bit, so I guess I'll show you what I've been up to. One success, one not so much. Let's start with the misfire.

019F02B5-C5B4-413D-82F6-5C591726B94D.jpeg

Todd, I thought you said this was casting. What's with the Gaboon Ebony pen? We'll you see, this is actually green ribbon on a black tube. Looked fantastic…until it got wet.
0DA7108C-6BC1-4FAF-8B09-19266138BCB4.jpeg

71CB15E6-1D70-40CF-8D7E-FDDB67F6C99A.jpeg

The last pic was outside in bright sun, on a black background…with a sizable amount of editing post production.

Would and will do it again. I'll wet the end of the ribbon to assess color and make color choices accordingly. 🤦🏼‍♂️

#2.
CE9FD0C8-93C4-419D-A921-2C068034812F.jpeg

While not a big fan of the kit, I bought basically a whole shop off another turner, and two of these were in there. At $33 a pop it's my most expensive ballpoint to date. I need to make and sell these to recoup my investment, and slapping a piece of wood on such a detailed kit didn't seem right. I bought some brass chain and cast it in resin for this one. SHOUT OUT to Ken, whose rainbow pen pointed the way to hiding the ends of the chain behind a wooden end cap.
9D014B3A-7837-41C2-9B10-38318CC8BA39.jpeg

Thanks for looking!!

PS. Sorry for the beard hair that landed on the clip of the pen in the first photo. 🤢

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fine Engineer

Using the chain on the steampunk pen was just an inspired choice. That looks fantastic! And just the right amount of wood to frame the chain, hide the ends, and provide a little contrast to all the metal. Well done!

Drewby108

Diggin the chain on the steampunk kit. I also think the ribbon will be a point of interest for whoever has it. I often find myself getting bored and fiddling with whatever is nearby. Having a pattern that will become more apparent the longer you look at it would be a good way to pass time.

Woodchipper

My complements on the two pens, especially the one with the brass chain. I never cease to be amazed at the creativity of the folks here.

Joebobber

It seems i always seem to get 1 dog or cat hair in all of my pictures. Worse yet is when they look like a crack. I didn't notice your beard hair until you said smartphone. My eyes were stuck on that beautiful cast job.

Top Bottom