Turningz of a different kind . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

Last night I decided since I haven't had much time on the lathe turning anything other than pens, I chucked uo a piece and began playing around. Thought I'd try a captive ring while I was at it.

2006-09-29_015459_TURNZ.jpg

Then, tonight, I did another truning with captive rings. I made a rattle out of canary wood for a baby shower. It is the top one. Sorry for the off color pic.

The one at the bottom of the pic is done out of curly oak. It was done by my son-in-law and it is his first turning of anything. He made it for his 5 1/2 mo. old son.

Both were finished with HUT friction polish. (food safe)

2006-09-30_033150_RATZ.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Yarael

nice looking. I havent got into the captive rings yet but really want to. Just havent found the right thing to do. I think my soon to be nephew would love a rattle like that. Which gives me an idea that would drive my brother nuts. So thanks for the idea.

redfishsc

Originally posted by cozee

Both were finished with HUT friction polish. (food safe)

Very nice stuff! I'm sure the kids will love'em.

FWIW, all finishes are food safe so long as they have fully cured (meaning, basically a month for lacquers and urethane varnishes). Though I'd not use BLO on baby stuff. For baby stuff it's hard to beat plain old mineral oil (or even baby oil). No, it won't last, but then again neither will HUT. And mineral oil is MUCH cheapa!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom