Turning with kids... Ghostwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

Next month, I'm planning to introduce my 10 and 12-year-old nieces to pen-turning.
I liked using downsized 2x4 pine on my first few practice projects because it was easy to carve and wasn't precious.
But I want something more interesting for the girls... something with character or a story... yet easily discarded if they want to start over.

That's when I discovered "Ghostwood" in the back of my local Home Depot. It's inexpensive pine sourced from abandoned buildings in Bannack, Montana, a renowned "ghost town," according to the description. Maybe it's all marketing hooey, but an 8-foot board was on sale for just $3.82. This seems like perfect "beginner wood" for them to get some experience and confidence on... with an interesting story.

- Cullen

a1.jpg

This lumber is just "fine" for pen-turning. Nothing very interesting... unless perhaps you're looking to keep a 10 year old's attention. ; )
a2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Definitely a bargain. I have a book about various ghost towns. The ghost towns of the West, Alaska and Western Canada are slowly deteriorating to eventually disappear. I'm surprised that wood would be sold. However, any way to certify it like other woods? Photo of the label?

bugradx2

having a blank with a story is always fun! I've found our kids just like the ability to turn and try whatever shapes grab their eye.

Another wood that turns nicely and is inexpensive is bubinga. I find myself reaching for that when I just want to try something or use a wood that a kid may not have heard of. Have fun with them!

Wmcullen

...any way to certify it like other woods?
I don't have a way to certify it. And frankly, based on its cheapness, and the fact that it was at Home Depot, I've thought it might not be "the real McCoy" but maybe just some nominal knockoff. Having wood with a real story is so special... but I was thinking this "Ghostwood" might be a bit of a gimmick, but also a little entertaining. ;)
Another wood that turns nicely and is inexpensive is bubinga.
Great recommendation. I haven't used Bubinga, but it's now "on the list." Thanks!

NeonWoodShop

Nice find. The HD description lists it as new wood with "eco-friendly finish" giving "reclaimed attributes".

Darn - out of stock online and in stores. Too bad, I have a project this would have been perfect for.

Wmcullen

Nice find. The HD description lists it as new wood with "eco-friendly finish" giving "reclaimed attributes".
Darn - out of stock online and in stores. Too bad, I have a project this would have been perfect for.
That makes sense. Thanks for finding and sharing the description!

derekdd

Congrats on passing on pen turning skills to the youngsters.

I look forward to hearing how it goes and their reactions.

Top Bottom