Turning Warthog Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've been considering turning warthog ivory to make some nice high-end bolt action or fly fishing pens. However, the older posts on the subject don't give any clear dimensions of the tusk itself (one post did say that only 30-40% of the tusk is useable). Does anyone have experience turning this, and what should I look out for?

Kenny Durrant

I've used elephant and Hippo Ivory. I've bought Warthog to play with but never got around to it. The first two were easy to work with. I just went slow so not to chip or crack it. I've worked with acrylic blanks that were tougher to use. The Warthog tusk that were available to me were short. I knew from the start I was going to have to use it for inlays. I know this isn't really answering your question but maybe it will give you some extra thought before you jump into it. Best of luck.

carlmorrell

I picked up a few tusks decades ago. They are basically hollow and with so much curve to them, I never could figure out a way to use them. Wait, I can't remember if this is boar or warthog. Anyhow, I found whatever they are.
20210322_190305[1].jpg

Thanks for the info! I might buy a cheap tusk or two to try it out, but if they do turn out to be too small to use for a full pen I'll just use them for inlays. Also, I'd love to use elephant ivory or hippo ivory, but the blanks are just too expensive (and I don't know anyone who'd be willing to pay the hefty price tag!)

Top Bottom