Turning Class

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
SO, I volunteer locally where I am with a woodshop at a foster home for kids. This is a home where kids go when their parents basically don't want them or can't afford them so it is kind of worse than parentless homes. The shop is on grounds for the home so the kids can just come there when classes are scheduled or weekend work to build stuff ordered to make a few bucks.

The shop has a handful of lathes and I want to teach a turning class. The age range of these kids is about 13-17. Had anyone done a class for youth like this and can offer me some assistance or copies of the plan you used? My thought was once a week for 3-4 weeks for an intro to turning class, 1-2 hours per class. The items being made should be for the kids to take back to their rooms. BUT, it cannot be an item that could be used as a weapon in any way. It would be a maximum 6-7 students if we have enough sign up and adult supervision.

Obviously we will make pens to start off the class. Other items I thought of are weed pots, planter for baby cacti/succulents, small tealight candle holders, toothpick boxes, gnomes, handles for things like ice cream scoop and a bowl to finish the class. Any other suggestions that could fit the criteria to try and get these kids interested?

I welcome all ideas and suggestions as this for some kids who need some positive and confidence building in their lives.

howsitwork

Wood pecker s on a stem.

These use an old biro spring as their "feet" which runs along a steel,rod to the base. The beak is made from a toothpick .

Basic turning and entertaining to make and play with.

Drewby108

Although they could probably be used as weapons, wands and lightsabers would have been great fun for me when I was that age.

Birdhouses could also be an option.

Top Bottom