Turning Challenged Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Contest for the Turning Challenged

This contest is for those who are just starting out turning pens as well as those of who have been doing it for a while, but just haven't mastered it yet. Here is a quick self assessment to determine if this contest if for you.
If I say "How is the Fit and Finish?" and your response is " Better than the Fat and Norwegian".

You're not quite sure what "outgassing" is, but you pretty sure it involves refried beans.

You wonder why California is the only state that gets a finished named after it.

The only reason you use a skew is to keep up on the latest swear words.

You've glued any part of your body to either yourself or anything in your shop in the last month.

If you answer yes to any of these questions, this is your contest. So now that you have determined that this is indeed the contest for you. Here are the guidelines:

1. A Slimline or variant must be used for this contest. Basically if it has a 7mm tubes, a twist 7mm tranny, and two equal length tubes, it's eligible. This includes Creekline, Saturn, Funline, Streamline, and Trimline kits.

2. You may not use the center band of kit. You may either simply eliminate it or you could make a custom centerband. Here is some reading on making custom center bands.

3. To keep the playing field level.....
Wood Lathe - Yes
Metal Lathe - No
Ornamental Lathe - No
Rose Engine Lathe - No
CNC - Oh H#ll No

4. Blanks for this contest must be:•Commercially available
•Made by you from raw materials, where the work by you represents the majority of the work required to create the blank.
5. The pen cannot have been or be shown in any public forum (truck stop bathrooms included) before the contest is completed.

6. The deadline: 11:59 pm God's Time ( also known as Mountain Time) on such and such day during the summer when it's hot out. (EDIT: It has been determined that such and such day during the summer when it's hot out will now be Aug. 15. We will now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.)

7. To enter email up to three photos to D.Oliver.IAP
@gmail.com. Photos must be sized 800 x 600.

8. Pens will be voted upon by IAP membership. The criteria should be considered in both the making of the pen and voting should be:
•WOW factor
•Fit and Finish
•Creativity
•Difficulty
So there it is. Have some fun, talk a little trash, and make some pens.

Questions? Post them below or if you prefer PM me.

While being from either Utah or Florida are strong indicators that this contest is for you, they aren't absolute, so please use the criteria at the beginning of this post to determine eligibility.

Prizes. (Im not sure why we even give him prizes)
First Place - A Magic Skew from member Magic BOB
Second place -Abalone Blank from member brownsfan2
Third Place- A BOB from member old bessie

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

If the bearings on my desk chair are binding and it is really hard to turn , does that qualify me for the contest? If not me, then can my turning challenged chair enter?

Ed

D.Oliver

Wait a minute....I'm the Turning Challenged Chair........and I can't enter........so neither can your turning challenged chair........I think.......Yeah let's go with that.

Kelley Crafts

To bad I missed this. I would have loved to give it a go to try and get that magic skew. My pen turning gear isn't even here until Friday according to UPS. Will still post my first pen somewhere around here anyway.

Top Bottom