Turning buffalo horn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I've made a couple of deer antler pens, that turned out good. I ordered a water buffalo horn blank from Crooked mill. Is it translucent or opaque? Do I need to paint it? The deer antler was completely opaque, but I don't know if the horn will be the same. Anything I should know about turning it? The pen kit is a Classic Elite 2 from PSI, and the lower body gets kind of thin.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 83
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 91
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

To reduce the chance of cracking. When it stinks you are getting it hot or you have a sensitive sniffer that I don't. Drill slowly and keep everything cool. Best to drill undersize and set it aside for some time to let the inside dry some more and relieve stresses. This may be one occasion where a slightly bigger hole and Gorilla glue would be best as the bond is a little more flexible. Don't get it hot when turning especially when sanding, sharp paper and pause to let it cool. Sand out the tube so it barely has any resistance when put together and use purple or blue Locktite to hold it together Don't store the pen in a hot place. It may still crack someday but is less likely if you take the precautions.

Top Bottom