turning block

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jahlg

I just cant seem to get into the mood to turn lately. I go into the shop and nothing. I just cant seem to find the motivation, has this happened to anyone, and how did you fix??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Find a piece of wood that interests you. That or just wait a little while, sometimes people just need a break.

darbytee

For me it usually comes if I've been working on a lot of the same thing. I can usually fix it by taking a break and switching gears. If I've been doing a lot of pens I'll work on a bowl or vice versa.

Or, you could crack open a beer and take the rest of the day off.[:D][:D]

JimGo

I'm with Fred. Try turning something else, like a bottlestopper. Or, if you're really fried, go play frisbie, read a book, or try something else.

keithz

Been there, done that. I find that if I grab a specatularly figured piece of wood and place it so I see it a lot, eventually, my mind will detect it's presence and I may get an idea of something to do with it, maybe a bottlestopper, a bowl, a box, an ornament, or something else.

If that fails to work for me, I concentrate on one of my other avocations for a while. I find that once I get burnt out on one of them, I can turn again because turning them becomes a solution for the other avocation. It helps having other loves in addition to turning.

If all else fails, I take a trip somewhere.

keithz

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Take a break. I lost all interest in turning after my surgery last December and am slowly getting it back. Spend some time in the shop regularly organizing and cleaning. That keeps you in touch with your shop until the mood to turn returns (no pun intended.) and you get back to enjoying our addiction.

whatwoodido

It is very easy to make it worse by allowing yourself to feel pressured to turn. If it isn't fun why do it. For me I find that trying something new helps, new form, new species of wood, new technique, new finish. I have a very short attention span for pens, but I like boxes, and am going to start small entry hollow forms next. I also have the addtional problem that I teach woodturning and penturning so I end up doing lots of prep work for my classes, which cuts into turning time. But at times I enjoy the prep work more than I do turning.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I make a new blank.It gets me into woodworking and the idea that is the end product that gets me into turning to see what the end product will be.

BigRob777

I keep woodworking magazines around and pick one up occasionally. It really inspires me. The same thing goes for catalogs, but to a lesser degree. It makes me want to buy a kit, or a turning tool, which makes me want to turn something, or do some flatwork. I also like the previously mentioned idea of putting a chunk of wood where I can see it, but that also makes me want to cut it up for a special. Also, my wife doesn't appreciate a 4' board sitting in the living room and I know better than to keep a bowl blank in there. I have to get some trays done for Christmas and they aren't building themselves. My wife wants to buy Christmas presents, but I've been hoarding this veneer for 2 years. I guess we're in the same boat.
Rob

pete00

when im not in the mood, i think about all he other projects ive been meaning to do.
Rearrange this, rehang the tools better, clean out the corner ....mostly stuff I can do without really thinking.....when i ready to work again all this stuff i just did makes it more enjoyable so i really didnt waste a lot time.....

M

Mudder

Originally posted by jahlg
<br />I just cant seem to get into the mood to turn lately. I go into the shop and nothing. I just cant seem to find the motivation, has this happened to anyone, and how did you fix??

Got the same problem here, and now with winter setting in and the shop being cold I don't know if I will break out of the funk before springtime.

woodbutcher

Sell something or take your favorite piece to someone appreciative. The money in your pocket may help. I find sometimes the happiness in someones face is inspiration enough.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom