Turning "Acrylic" - New 10 Minute Video

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

Promise I will not do this for all the videos, but I think this one is quite relevant. As I posted a few weeks back, I have been making videos for YouTube on pen making that last about 10 minutes - "10 Minutes To Better Pen Making". When I asked for feedback one of the topics that came up a few times is turning acrylic. In my latest video I demo my technique and actually turn two blanks "live" during the video. And they are nice blanks donated by John Underhill.

If you get a chance to look at the video - I am always looking for feedback. I discuss my three cuts using carbide tools - rounding, peel and finish. Working the ends to avoid chip out. And, I address tool techniques and hand positions. The video also has some close-ups to see the tools and blank interactions.

Always looking for comments and feedback.

Video Link:
10 Minutes To Better Pen Making - Turning Acrylic With Carbide Tools

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Thanks for posting. I've been turning "Plastics",since you said if it's not wood it doesn't mean it's acrylic, for a long time. I did get some tips for not only turning but also on tool care. I sent a frei d some blanks and he's nervous about turning them because he's always turned wood. This should give him some confidence so Thank You for that.

henry1164

Learning more each day especially with this sort of instruction. Thanks and please keep going. Also, no promises about postings in the future, I am one who would like to know each and every time you make a new video!!!

its_virgil

Acrylic is not a generic term for any and all plastic resins although the term is often used (incorrectly) in that context. Acrylic is a specific type of resin and it is not one that we can cast in our home shops. The one you turned in your video is either polyester resin, a urethane resin (Alumilite clear, clear slow, or white) or an epoxy resin(Liquid Diamonds, Royal Palm, Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast or one of the West System epoxies). These are the three resins used by those of us who cast blanks in our shops.

Thanks for your video, your time to make it and sharing it with us. You communicated lots of information that many of us will find useful and informative. I look forward to more of these.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

mg_dreyer

Great video. I understand the way you hold the tool. Is that why you use the midi or full tool and not the mini. Many of us use mini for pens.

Yes I like the midsize tools. When it is secured under my arm I have very good control - no jumping or unexpected movement. The mini has a few advantages and I do use those also - if I am putting any sculpting into the pen and the control on the smaller heads on the ends when I am working near the bushing is helpful. I wanted to make sure people could see we can turn the whole pen with a single tool. Thanks for the kind words.

Top Bottom