turning a crotch??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from railrider1920

railrider1920

I was just wondering if anyone here has any pictures of something that was turned out of a crotch. I'd also like to see pictures of the wood before it was turned, how it was cut, maybe how it was mounted. I looked on you tube to see if there was a video, but didn't find one. Doing a search for crotch on there gave up some strange results.

Thanks,
Rob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

I've turned some crotch cherry but mostly very small items. I don't have any before pictures. The wood was very wet and I rough turned it and let it sit for about a year. Turned out very pretty but I had to make it a very unusual shape, kinda ugly if you ask me. The grain was what was very pretty. I used CA on any of the knot holes and anywhere I started to get cracks or checks while it was drying. Here are pictures of the bowl from the center of the crotch. There were several branches coming out of it. The whole thing was not more than 8 inches across when I started. Final dimensions are 3 inches tall and about 4 inches wide at the wides part.

2008314144231_Cherry%20Crotch%201.jpg

2008314144317_Cherry%20Crotch%202.jpg

2008314144527_Cherry%20Crotch%20Inside%20Look.jpg

railrider1920

Very nice looking bowl Steve.

Thanks Don, I think that that type of bowl is what I was looking for. Very nice. Do you happen to have a picture of what a blank for something like that would look like?

its_virgil

I don't have a picture, but here is a diagram of how the blank can be cut. Just treat it like any other bowl. Be sure to locate the center of the bowl so the chuck has a full bite on the bottom. I drill a shallow hole with a fornster bit for the drive center and the live center to grab to instead of grabbing into the bark. I turn round between centers and then turn a tenon on the bowl side to grab with a chuck. Form the outside and bottom then turn the blank around and hollow out. Good luck. Just consider it a regular bowl...you will be turning some air.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
200831516855_crotch%20blank.jpg

Originally posted by railrider1920

Thanks Don, I think that that type of bowl is what I was looking for. Very nice. Do you happen to have a picture of what a blank for something like that would look like?

its_virgil

I don't have a picture, but here is a diagram of how the blank can be cut. Just treat it like any other bowl. Be sure to locate the center of the bowl so the chuck has a full bite on the bottom. I drill a shallow hole with a fornster bit for the drive center and the live center to grab to instead of grabbing into the bark. I turn round between centers and then turn a tenon on the bowl side to grab with a chuck. Form the outside and bottom then turn the blank around and hollow out. Good luck. Just consider it a regular bowl...you will be turning some air.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
200831516855_crotch%20blank.jpg

Originally posted by railrider1920

Top Bottom