Turned my first piece in ~5 years

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AdventiveIowa

4c3a31323e0e3c664415ad3fc28557e4.jpg

So I turned my first piece today. It's been about five years since I used a mill, so there was a bit of a learning curve there, but I got through it.

This is actually a jig piece to make my kit less brass pen. There's a point where the tutorial I'm following recommends to grip into the outer threads of the section with a collet, and I don't really wanna do that, so I just made a piece to thread onto the section so I can hold it in place for the final procedures.

I used it as an opportunity to practice some of the various processes, such as parting, squaring, drilling, etc.

Some things I could use advice on:

-Cutting speed: the tools kept squealing, and I wasn't sure if I needed to go slower or faster. I varied from 300-700 rpm
-finishing process: I have 00 and 0000 steel wool along with brasso, but I feel like the 00 steel wool doesn't have as much of an effect on the plain surface finish off the lathe, so I think I might need something tougher for that first pass
-setting up your coordinate system: any best practices on how to get a precise coordinate system laid out? This is especially important when drilling: I have a set of digital calipers on my tail piece, but any time I move the tail piece I lose my zero. I have a similar issue when I have to switch cutting tools on the main cutting piece, which has a digital readout on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AdventiveIowa

cd7f3a51e697138a2245b178556751ff.jpg

Had to post these as separate comments because of the app restrictions.

This one is the finish straight off the piece, with no steel wool. The others had some sandpaper and steel wool applied to them.

-Hank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom