tung oil finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

howdy

did a couple pens for my brothers from a piece of hardwood floor in our house. My folks bought it back in the 40's its about 100 yrs old and im still here.

anyway the floor is fir a contractor said it was a "poor mans hardwood floor" they used it on the second floor and keep the good stuff for the first floor back then.

After i turned it there wasn't that much color or texture, then i remembered i had some tung oil i used on some other furniture.

the pen on left has a few coats of oil, the top on the right is what it look like before anything was applied. I started to put some on the bottom then thought i show folks the difference.

Tung oil is used by many furniture makers as the only finish they put on. Rub coat on,wipe it off wait awhile, another coat on wait etc. The more coats you use the better the wood looks. Try it on some scrapes you have.

One thing i did notice is that it didnt like to be buffed while lathe was turning, i think it got to warm and got a little sticky.

CAUTION
The rags you use to put tung oil on CANNOT be thrown in a pile in a bucket. It will heat up and start a fire. I hang them like laundry outside.

pete

200611503950_tung1%20DSC01000.jpg

Rifleman1776

Pure tung oil is also excellent for gunstocks. As you said, it can be reapplied time after time. It has excellent moisture resistance qualities. But do avoid so-called 'tung oil finishes'. Those are adulterated with other materials, often silicone. Use high quality pure only. As for getting a high gloss finish as is sought on pens, that might be very difficult with tung.

pete00

thanks for the added info frank, didnt know that.
I tend to lean toward a natural finish, rather than a gloss.
Althouh i glossed up some for a gal that like the gloss rather than the natural.

So being (wishi washi) or (wishee washee) or (?) guess i dont know how to spill it.

i like what ever the customer wants the best....[:D]

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom