Trent Bosch Remote Demo!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Last week, two of our local clubs had Trent Bosch as their monthly meeting demonstrator via Remote Demo. This was the first time for both clubs to have a remote demonstration and it went extremely well! Myself and another gentleman from our clubs spearheaded getting this type of demonstration going here. It turns out to be a demonstration method that has benefits. First, you can have a professional demonstration when weather is likely to be a travel issue. Secondly, the clubs don't have to pay for the Demonstrator's travel expenses.....nor house, feed, and be transportation for them. I know other clubs have used this method and gave a hearty two thumbs up. Another benefit is not having to move and set up our big lathe, lights, cameras, etc and there are no chips to sweep up! Downside is that they are not here to do a Hands on workshop.

Trent did different items each night which was good for our members who attend both clubs. One demo was on his hollow vessel with another vessel inside illusion turning. He showed us some cool tools too (some of which he sells). With this demo, we could see and hear Trent on our big screen TVs and he could hear and see us on his end. We had a microphone so members could ask him questions directly during the demo.
Of course, Trent does this demo expertly and gave us different camera shots to best see the process.....pretty cool! Some members commented that they could see everything better than live because of the multiple camera shots.
As there are a growing number of professional turners doing this now, we are very likely to do this again.
This is something for other clubs to consider.

665A02A4-2F07-46D7-B99B-80D8AFB788FF.jpeg
20528E1A-C2A3-43F4-AF1C-9F5C1DC44A79.jpeg
54AF9149-5029-429E-A9C9-B665D4B15313.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am surprised that this has not been touted earlier as a way to present good demonstrations - for meetings like this. YouTube videos on large screens (when permission is granted) is another.

When I lived overseas (been back almost 10 years) we had computer to computer with larger digital screens - interviews and discussions without any additional cost other than what was basically on hand. We had regular monthly meetings done this way with team members 2 hours or more away. Audio and video was very good.

A few years ago, I tried getting our local ministry team of leaders in 3 counties to do this for meetings (here in the States) and they did it twice. Didn't like it.

Back in 2006, and until LOML and I came home ( to the USA) in 2010, our middle daughter was a big fan of the one well known football teams. On Sundays when that team's games were broadcast in her area, she would turn the TV on, turn her computer's video to the TV screen, call me and we would have a 3 hour chat via Skype while we watched the game together, 6000 miles apart. We did this about once a month during football season.

Technology is good if we know how to use it.

Last edited:

MPVic

OUTSTANDING concept - where do I sign up?? Thanks, Charlie, for sharing.
I'm probably pushing the 'envelope' but can you do Q & A - just a thought.

Woodchipper

A few years ago, I tried getting our local ministry team of leaders in 3 counties to do this for meetings (here in the States) and they did it twice. Didn't like it.
No coffee and donuts.
Charlie, that would be a great idea for two or three chapters to split the expense. Thanks for sharing. Our chapter is Dalton, GA with several others within 2 hours.

jttheclockman

Don't they have college classes like this too these days?? Seems simple but to me loses that personal touch. But today with technology anything goes.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
These type of demos are growing, and will continued to grow. Well done to publicize it.

Thanks for the info, it is helpful for those interested in fostering forward thinking.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Don't they have college classes like this too these days?? Seems simple but to me loses that personal touch. But today with technology anything goes.
Yes. My sister-in-laws husband taught at the college level in a South Eastern State, and had tenure; His wife retired from her teaching and wanted to move west to be close to grand children. They moved. He still teaches via the above method in that college from their home in the South West.

Woodchipper

Yes. My sister-in-laws husband taught at the college level in a South Eastern State, and had tenure; His wife retired from her teaching and wanted to move west to be close to grand children. They moved. He still teaches via the above method in that college from their home in the South West.
My daughter is finishing her Nurse Practitioner requirements and now all the class time is online. When she first started, she was required to be on campus for one day- 8 AM to 8PM!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
We did the same with Trent and others last year in Richmond. Worked well for us. He also sent in some pieces and tools for us to pass around. A very cost effective way to get A level demonstrators.

Charlie_W

OUTSTANDING concept - where do I sign up?? Thanks, Charlie, for sharing.
I'm probably pushing the 'envelope' but can you do Q & A - just a thought.

When you say Q & A , yes, club members can ask questions directly to the Demonstrator and they reply. Sometimes the Demonstrator asks questions of us and whoever is holding the microphone usually replies.

If you have questions about the set up, ask away or send me a PM.

Top Bottom