Trans border shipments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

There seems to be the perception that making shipments accross the border (U.S.A. to Canada) is a 'hassle' and that many shippers insist on a premium to make border shipments. From my perspective, shipping from Canada to the US is no different than if I were to make the same shipment within Canada. I basically have to go through a similar routine; pack, paperwork etc. I see very little difference in my routine. Yet for some strange reason, some US shippers see it otherwise. Would be interested in receiving comments regarding this matter so that I (and perhaps other Canucks) may have a better understanding. Exclude the difference in the higher postage fees which are readily understood. Is it a hassle to ship accross the border is what I'm basically asking?

-Peter-

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have heard huge difficulty stories in shipping to Canada - these from Canadians on the woodworking forum I frequent. Several have said in different words - basically something I experienced about three years ago. I had a special computer connector for a notebook that I used in the mid '90s. It was about the size of two packs of gum. A fellow on a computer forum was looking for one. I sent mine to him as a gift - from Japan by express mail. Well it got to Canada and was put into some kind of deliver system (like UPS) in which they talked and argued for <b>two months</b> before they would let him go to the office and pick it up. They said they didn't have it, but tracking did. They admitted they had it but wanted duty or delivery charges even though they were not going to deliver to his area. And I paid the equivilent of about US $15.00 to send it.

On my woodworking forum, I occasionally hear similar stories about deliveries in Canada that originated in the States. These are Canadians that are writing these and complaining that they cannot get parts to certain saws - not because the US companies will not ship but because of the delivery system there. It works OK for in country originating orders.

I do not remember the specific details or the delivery service mentioned. I could find it but it would take a while. Also in stating this, I will add that the US has its share of loosing packages.

JimGo

It can be a hassle. Shipping within the US doesn't require any paperwork; just slap a stamp on the box, and drop it in the mail. Shipping from the US to Canada requires filling out a Customs form, and at least in the online version, you have to provide a contact phone number among other info. You also have to describe what's in the box, and you want to do so in a way that's not likely to attract the attention of the Custom's officer, otherwise things will slow down even MORE. As it is, the few things that I've shipped to Canada have taken 2-3 weeks to get to the recipient, as compared to the 2-3 days it takes within the USA - I don't really want to extend that any longer! I think it actually has taken less time to ship stuff to a recipient in Australia (just about as far away from me on the globe as you can get) than it takes to get stuff to someone in Canada.

arioux

Hi,

I'm active on E-Bay as a stamp collector buyer/seller. I have more than 1600 transaction, 99% trans border either way. In 3 1/2 years, only two bad experience. It seems that when we see one bad experience, we have a tendency to generalize. For a business side it would be more trouble since there is a little more paper work to do (custom forms). Plus and this is a major iossue, if you don't use a courrier (UPS or FEDEX), you have to go to the post office to drop it. So i can understand that a high volume could be more trouble and a busines like AZ that have probably a high number of order with a minimum of staff (so you have better price), this could be time consumable and would slow down their process and custummer services.

Alfred

Dario

I shipped to Canada a few times...just once recently and it does require a little more step but not much more (for me). JimGo is right that they require phone no and you have to declare the content and value for custom's puposes. I just put 1 lot pen blanks LOL [:D]

For me the biggest thing is the wait time.

Rates of course are different...if you are mailing via international flat rate only, maybe it is not too much of a hassle otherwise it can entail a lot of work (especially for mom&pop outfits like AS).

Insurance is also different...some methods of shipping cannot be insured. Some buyers feel slighted when you require a premium for shipping on top of the insurance.

Just a few issues I know and can think of.

RogerGarrett

Why Peter............you are asking the fundamental question that plagued us the last couple of months! [;)][}:)]

I've had two experiences that were odd - the first experience you already know about - it took 30 + days to get that wonderful buffing set you shipped me - through no fault of your's. But I had heard that shipping from Canada to places in the US can take a LOOOONG time, so I was never worried. Problem is - I don't know a solution.

The other problem was shipping TO Canada FROM the US which, I believe, is what you are asking about. I shipped a bass clarinet mouthpiece (which cost the customer $165 US [:0] - yes - they aint cheap folks - not for a top level pro mouthpiece) to the Western side of Canada - Burnaby in BC - and it was shipped UPS. He was charged an additional $63 for the package. [xx(] Here are his words:

"UPS always charges brokerage and handling fees, just like FedEx, and on top of that, taxes on these charges! Whereas Canada Post and its counterpart the US Postal Services do not have these fees, just straight up shipping cost."

So - to respond via my personal experience - shipping TO Canada should be done via the US Postal Service - not UPS or FedEx.

On a related note - I had clarinet barrels and bells shipped from Backun in Burnaby to me in March of this year. It only took a week or so to arrive at my university, and it was shipped FedEx. Shipping (and I'm assuming insurance too) for this very expensive package (all cocobolo barrels and one bell - probably $2000 worth) was $42 US. But there was no problem with the amount of time.

Does this help a little?

Best,
Roger Garrett

Fangar

I don't have any problems shipping out of US to Canada or any other Country for that matter.

If you use click and ship, it is easy. I keep the necessary envelopes and required plastic sleeves on hand. I shipped somethign to Peter last month. It took about 5 days and I printed the label in a matter of minutes.

I have shipped a Harley Davidson Gas Tank to Japan. It got there in about 7 days. It was 75 dollars US to ship which is another story. No issues at all though.

I have made numerous shipments of the pin chucks to all over the world. I have not had any issues. Time delays at times, but as far as hassle, none noted. All done with click and ship though.

Fangar

alparent

Never use UPS they are the worse.

Always use the postal services.

So ya, you got to put a couple of words on a little sticker! So what!
We are all penturners, no! Finding a pen shoudn't be a problem!

I can understand if you in this just for the money....you don't want the hassel, OK. But if your in this because you like the hobby and you care about fellow turners, and somebody like your products and would like some. I dont think you would mind.

Take Daniel for exemple. He sent me slim-line clips I needed.
He filled the little sticker and shipped it out to me. And He didn't even want to be paid for it. Now that's what I call contributing to the penturning community.

And even if the shipping is slower.....so what? It's better then not being able to get it at all!

I'm not complaining but just venting a bit.

We have nothing in Canada. Please don't cut us off.

angboy

The actual what you have to do to ship to Canada, filling out the customs form, is quite easy and quick to do. Maybe some of the problem is the actual having to go to the post office. For me, I like to be able to ship any package without having to make that trip. It's only a 3 block walk from my office to the po, so it's not that it's a long trip. But then you have to go stand in what's often long lines at my po, and make the time for it.

As long as you have a good assortment of stamps and a postal scale at home, and it weighs less than one pound, you can ship a lot by just dropping it in a mailbox. For myself, I can send out larger packages from our mailroom at work- so even ones over a pound I don't have to go to the po. So for me, the only potential hassle (I don't ship a lot out of the country, so it rarely comes up) would just be the making the trip to the po. Now from what Fangar said, it looks like you can fill out the customs form at home, and I don't know if you can then drop that in a mailbox?

My situation may be different b/c of having easy access to places to mail stuff. Believe me, I was very glad when I found out where at work I could take those one pound or more packages. I'd think, as a business, that especially if you had regular orders from Canada, those trips could easily be combined to where you were still able to make a profit.

Bottom line- I'm not sure I helped contribute to the discussion, but those are my thoughts!

Fangar

Originally posted by angboy
<br />Now from what Fangar said, it looks like you can fill out the customs form at home, and I don't know if you can then drop that in a mailbox?

That is correct. Somewhere it actually says that you are supposed to drop off your package with a carrier or at the PO, but I have never done that and my parcels have always been delivered. I use the flat rate envelopes (Large and Small) and drop them in the blue USPS boxes. No problems. The customs forms are printed in tripilcate and kept instead of leaving one at the PO for 30 days.

Fangar

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
ANY package over a pound requires that you go to the post office.---------------YUK!!!!

The line is about 20 minutes.

In fairness, the employees ARE courteous.

Shipping to Canada is a little more work, but USPS needs to figure your postage, so its unknown when you are taking paypal-more inconvenient.

However, the Canadians I have met here are REALLY pleasant, so I am very willing to ship to Canada!!!!!!!!!!

Pipes

We ship between 5 to 10 packages to Canada a week. We don't have any horror stories to share, the package always arrives albiet sometimes slower than one
would prefer. Yes, sometimes the parcel is delayed by Customs but we have found
that our customers are aware of the possibility and willing to deal with that in
most cases.

I have never tried to print the postage on line with Click n Ship from USPS yet, but if it is as easy as sending domestic mail then it certainly wouldn't be hard.
I have a PO Box at the post office, and I go there daily anyway so no extra hassel
for me there. With many Post Offices having extended hours it certainly is more
convenient than ever. If getting to the post office is a burden or hassle, I would
suggest shipping your foreign parcels once a week and making the customer aware of that so they are aware that their package won't ship until the day you designate.

That being said, I really don't find the extra Custom Form a burden. All of the
information you need about Canada or any other country is right there on USPS.com

If you weigh your package acurately before you bill PayPal, you know exactly what
it will cost your customer to ship to Canada. The International Rate Calculator has
all the services and costs available for each country, so there is no guesswork.
That includes all custom form requirements. Generally for Canada, if it weighs
less than 4 pounds you use the little green form. If you are sending Global Express
or it weighs greater than 4 pounds, you use the long form. You do need to describe
the package content and the value before shipping. It is best for your customer if you are honest about the content and value in case Customs decides to open the package. It doesn't bode well if you don't disclose truthfully the contents and value and Customs finds a receipt inside that belies what you have declared.

USPS offers many options for shipping. Air Parcel Post the slowest and least expensive. Global Express the fastest and most expensive. Global Express and Registered Mail are trackable both on the USPS website and Canada Post. I only
wish other countries shared that capability. From what I have learned from my
Canadian customers, Air Mail is delivered by Canada Post. Any of the expedited
services are delivered by courier. They seem to prefer Canada Post but I am
not sure why. I prefer that parcels be shipped via Registered Air Mail with Return Receipt. It costs an additional $9.75 but it is worth it to me and my customer to be able to track the package and have proof of delivery. I offer my customer all of
the different shipping options and costs so that the final deicision is theirs to make...it is after all, their money. I do not add extra fees into the postage amount for packaging, handling or just because. I do not try to make a profit off
postage.

The only downside that I have found is that sometimes the package will take longer
to be delivered than expected and the customer will look to you for explanation.
Some don't seem to grasp that you have no control over the package once it leaves
your hands which of course is true for domestic mail as well.

Over all we would miss the revenue if we did not ship to Canada. Some of our very best repeat customers are Canadian. We certainly appreciate their business and don't mind the small amount of extra effort it takes to get the package to them.

Pipes

Website URL: http://affordablepipes.com

wood-of-1kind

Pipes and others that have responded so far, I thank you kindly. Received some real good input here and you have all answered a lot of my questions(insecurities??) regarding this topic matter.

-Peter-[:)]

jaywood1207

I'll chime in here as a frustrated Canadian customer that can't order from certain sites because they won't ship to Canada. It's too bad because as a lot have mentioned I don't think it is that much of a hasssle. The down side which isn't the shippers fault is that the duty can kill you when you do get your package depending how much the declared value is as well as how the sender marks the package. With all said and done I have paid up to 35% for shipping and duty on some pen orders. I lose all of my profits on some of these kits after I figure shipping, exchange, and duty. Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining, just voicing some of my frustrations. Fortunately I have some contacts that make the process a little easier to get items shipped from the US to Canada.

Originally posted by jaywood1207
<br />the duty can kill you when you do get your package depending how much the declared value is as well as how the sender marks the package. With all said and done I have paid up to 35% for shipping and duty on some pen orders. I lose all of my profits on some of these kits after I figure shipping, exchange, and duty.

I don't understand where the 35% comes from. There is no "duty" on pen kits or craft supplies - only the GST & PST. I have been charged "excise tax" in the past by mistake. Someone in customs thought that the "24k gold" content description meant there was jewelry in the package (jewelry is dutiable). If you get charged import duty or excise tax fill out the back of the "Customs Postal Import Form" that customs attaches to the package and mail it in for a refund. I've never received an argument. The lousy part of that is you get stuck for the postage and time to get back the tax they wrongfully charged you.
Hope that helps.

Dario

Another thing I learned from the current Group Buy...Paypal charges are much higher coming from foreign countries. [V]

Something I never noticed before. [B)]

Tangboy5000

I've never had a problem shipping to Canada. I use the USPS and the shipping charges aren't bad. I did have a major problem with a lathe, which left me in a bad position becuase the laws are different and involving Canadian authorities in an internet fraud case is a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom