Tool help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brentda1

So, can anyone refresh me as to the name of this gouge? It was gifted to me by an older turner a few years back and I hadn't used it in quite a while until today. If I remember correctly it started as a homemade tool by a known turner and has been picked up and commercially made. Also, anyone know where I can purchase a new tip? Thanks...soon as I hear the name it will all come back to me...one of the advantages of gray hair ;)
29245A0C-7F71-45F8-984D-8E7268FB704D.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buckmark13

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks to be an Oland tool.

Is there a set screw to remove and replace the cutter / bit?

You can get the steel most anywhere....Amazon, Ebay, Harbor Freight, etc.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Does not look like any gouge I have seen. To me it looks like either a small version of a skew or a parting tool. Maybe a chatter tool. The base would not give a very good support to the tip in that it does not look concentric. It does look crude.

Last edited:

Brentda1

Oland tool is the answer! Knud Oland was the guy that made these. I appreciate the help....after hearing the name it all came back. It is a fun little tool to use. I was essentially practicing in the shop today as I hadn't turned anything other than pens in 2 years and pulled this tool out of the drawer with the others. I had used it in years past in some tight spots and also remember it working on some seasoned oak and hickory when others wouldn't. Thanks again for the help.

Brent

JimB

That style tool is often used when making hollow forms (end grain hollowing). There are Several different versions out there. I have used a set from John Jordan (Professional Woodturners and demonstrator). He makes them in three sizes.

howsitwork

The tool is similar in construction to one from G H Thomas ( master model engineers ) which is for hand turning metal . I use one both on my engineering lathe. for hand turning and also a trapezoidal one on my wood turning lathe. It can get into corners TO CUT where even a skew would be safer in scraping mode.

Not essential but sometimes very handy in a tricky situation. For sharpening it make a square holder about 6" long so you can rest it on the flat plate of your grinder and shape the end to whatever angle you want. The mass of the metal will help you keep the tool bit cool when grinding. OK HSS is more heat resistant than carbon steel but it's still better to keep,it cooler.

Anyone stuck for a Christmas present try GH THOMAS The Model Engineers Workshop Manual, there's a few items eg the small parts plate which can be useful .

Top Bottom