tool gloat!!!!! Pic heavy!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sumterdad

Mods I hope this is the right thread if not please feel free to move it.:biggrin:

I got this lathe tonight. It is a hf 9 x 20 gear driven metal lathe. It came with a drill chuck and a quick change tool holder. I found it on craigslist for 300.00, the guy was advertising it as a 7x12:biggrin:

So I could use any advice that you can give. Also what kind of rest can I get to use a regular tool rest that will allow me to use my hand tools on this machine.
2012-01-30_22-45-44_614.jpg
2012-01-30_22-45-54_91.jpg
2012-01-30_22-46-06_184.jpg
2012-01-30_22-47-02_117.jpg
2012-01-30_22-47-14_503.jpg
2012-01-30_22-47-42_22.jpg
2012-01-30_22-48-18_828.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sumterdad

Buddy....you hit the jackpot. Would you like to trade?:redface::rolleyes: I paid $500.00 for mine:frown: Congratulations!
Na I think I will learn how to run this one:biggrin: I just need to find out where to but the tool holders for the hardinge qc tool post.

cwolfs69

Chris, nice looking lathe especially for the price. just make you a tool rest that will mount on the regular tool post. then it will be easy to take off when you need to.
by the way. a safety tip. i know that the lathe is probably not powered in the pictures. But, never take your hand off of the chuck wrench with it still in the chuck. like a gun that is always loaded. sorry but after 30 years in the business could not stop noticing that.
good luck, PM if you need help with anything generic. don't know that specific machine.

Curly

Na I think I will learn how to run this one:biggrin: I just need to find out where to but the tool holders for the hardinge qc tool post.

You might find some on eBay but be forewarned that they are an American made high end industrial maker so even used, not likely to be cheap. You may find that it will be more economical to replace it with an imported tool post that you can get the holders for at a fraction of the cost.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
When I want to turn with hand tools on my metal lathe, I just put a round bar (usually from a transfer punch set) into one of the holders. With a quick change tool post, you can easily change the height.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Mods I hope this is the right thread if not please feel free to move it.:biggrin:

I got this lathe tonight. It is a hf 9 x 20 gear driven metal lathe. It came with a drill chuck and a quick change tool holder. I found it on craigslist for 300.00, the guy was advertising it as a 7x12:biggrin:

This thread is DEFINATELY not right!!! :eek::eek:

You need to move the lathe to my garage to correct it! :biggrin::big grin:

Nice score!

bluwolf

You might find some on eBay but be forewarned that they are an American made high end industrial maker so even used, not likely to be cheap. You may find that it will be more economical to replace it with an imported tool post that you can get the holders for at a fraction of the cost.

When I want to turn with hand tools on my metal lathe, I just put a round bar (usually from a transfer punch set) into one of the holders. With a quick change tool post, you can easily change the height.

These are both excellent pieces of advice.

I'm surprised that it didn't come with any tooling at all. But for that price, I guess you can't complain. You might be able to put that Hardinge QCTP on ebay and make enough to at least put a sizeable dent in an import QCTP set.

I hope a good cleaning, oiling and adjusting are first on the list. It's a good way to get to know the machine as well. You also might want to spend a little time on the 9x20 group.

9x20Lathe : 9x20Lathe

Mike

sumterdad

This thread is DEFINATELY not right!!! :eek::eek:

You need to move the lathe to my garage to correct it! :biggrin::big grin:

Nice score!
I am sorry but you know we can't edit the post after an hour or so.:biggrin:

I just wish I could find some good videos on it. Maybe someone with a metal lathe can do so basic tutorial videos

alphageek

Former Moderator
I am sorry but you know we can't edit the post after an hour or so.:biggrin:

I just wish I could find some good videos on it. Maybe someone with a metal lathe can do so basic tutorial videos

Well, I can make videos.... But someone has to send me a lathe! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Haynie

Nice. You tube is RIPE with metal lathe videos. One guy in particular (can't remember his name) old guy is really informative.

randyrls

The Hardinge QCTP is worth that much. One thing you will find out quickly, is that locking down the tail stock will quickly become a PITA. Look on the internet for a cam-lock for the tail stock., or put a reversible ratchet drive on the nut. Attach with removeable Loctite.

Top Bottom