Tool Costs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

We all know tool costs have skyrocketed, not a surprise. I am curious though, I just got the new Infinity Cutting Tools catalog, in it they have a Mirka finish sander. I should say I am in no way bashing Mirka, they are just a convenient example. If I wanted the complete package with the sander, case, dust extractor and hose it is $2000.00 dollars. For a random orbital sander! I can't get my head around who would pay that. The 33 foot vacuum hose, by itself, is $500 dollars, for a hose! I don't buy cheap tools, I buy quality tools, probably all are mid range and all work very well and all are pretty darn precise. Like I said, I just can't wrap my head around how they make any sales.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Mirka and Festool etc are aimed at the trades where having everything at hand that works together is important. The sanders have low vibration levels to reduce or prevent hand injuries. They also have very good dust collection at low noise levels too. Important on a job in someones house. The quality of the tools means they will last for years of everyday use. They are also tools made in Europe by people the make living wages. All of those things make for more costly tools. They are not aimed at the hobbits that may at most use a sander for a few hours a month.

KenB259

Mirka and Festool etc are aimed at the trades where having everything at hand that works together is important. The sanders have low vibration levels to reduce or prevent hand injuries. They also have very good dust collection at low noise levels too. Important on a job in someones house. The quality of the tools means they will last for years of everyday use. They are also tools made in Europe by people the make living wages. All of those things make for more costly tools. They are not aimed at the hobbits that may at most use a sander for a few hours a month.
All that aside what makes a vacuum hose worth 500 bucks?

jttheclockman

As Pete said Mirka and Festool are tools in a whole different catagory for power tools. They are built to last a long time and have all kinds of features. As far as the hose, it depends on the length when looking at price. They are the only hose that fits their tools. The hose is not the same material as you get with the ridged vacs and things like that so do not make those comparisons. They also come equipped with a power chord to hook to their vac system. They can come with a protective sleeve to help if dragging across fine furniture or things like that and that drives up the price too. They are well made tools and would like to own either them or Festool. You get what you pay for when buying in that class of tools. A tool for life.

SteveG

I am now retired, and work wood as a hobby. Up until 2018, I was self employed, as a one man shop custom furniture maker. As those years got closer to my retiring, I shifted to pen making for making my living, since my body was not keeping up with the physical demands of furniture work. During those working years I would invest in tools and materials in the top grade as discussed here, because they contributed to the quality of my work, and meeting my personal deadlines That I needed to be profitable. So, both function and reliability were factors in tool selection and tool spending levels. It just made good business sense. Now, I am back at making furniture, but at a more relaxed pace. I may occasionally "invest" in the top grade tools, but realistically admit that I will not wear out even mid-grade tools (before I wear out!), so mid-grade is my typical choice, unless I simply choose to indulge (because I can). So my own experience justifies BOTH (or either) choices, depending on the category of anticipated usage. There is no doubt, though, that the top tier tools are generally more user friendly, and may contribute to the joy of woodworking. That consideration is sometimes the only justification needed to go for the better tools.

RunnerVince

In our litigious society, I'd much rather spend $2k on a sander that is safer and more pleasant to use for everyone who uses it than pay $40k in court costs and damages from an employee who sues for any number of both legitimate and illegitimate reasons.

Curly

All that aside what makes a vacuum hose worth 500 bucks?
Well it is a choker of a price but the same in a Festool is $600. Both being the Canadian dollar pice so your side of the line should be $350 and $440 or so US, not $500US. Maybe the people at Infinity are ripping you off?

You can equate it to lathes. Is a Robust worth as much as a Grizzly in the same size range. Some would say absolutely and others no way.

KenB259

Well it is a choker of a price but the same in a Festool is $600. Both being the Canadian dollar pice so your side of the line should be $350 and $440 or so US, not $500US. Maybe the people at Infinity are ripping you off?

You can equate it to lathes. Is a Robust worth as much as a Grizzly in the same size range. Some would say absolutely and others no way.
LOL, they won't be ripping me off, I'm not a buyer😁

KenB259

In the same vein, I recently seen in person the new small Festool table saw. Hefty price tag of I think around 1800 dollars. It's all plastic and looks cheap. I'm sure it works well but cmon it's all plastic. I'm not in the market so doesn't matter much to me, but if I was looking to buy, I don't think I could by a plastic saw. Just my opinion.

greenacres2

Sometimes, inflation coupled with "later & greater" tools on the market works in our favor. A few months ago, i bought a freshly refurbished Powermatic 66 (PM-66) table saw. Since the PM-66 will still eat flesh, and the only flashing lights are from the VFD that converts single phase to three phase power, i got it for a fair (not great) price. Last Friday, i sold its predecessor, a Craftsman hybrid, for $70 more than i paid for it new 11 years ago.

Backside of that equation--i bought a 5 hp PM-66 with all new bearings and everything mechanical updated for net $700 out of pocket. The guy that bought my C-man for his daughter was thrilled because it was a few hundred dollars less than his daughter had paid for a job-site saw from a big box store--with a very crappy fence and shaky stand. The guy that found & refurbed the PM-66 for me got to put a few hundred in his tool fund (he's a young stay-at-home dad whose wife is a physician--and he loves cleaning/refurbing power tools). And his kids get a parent who is devoted to their care and supervision.

Everybody is happy, a Win-4 solution for us all. Gotta love it when a plan comes together!!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Is a painting of a pretentious Italian lady worth a billion dollars? Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them...they must have a market. It's not me, but a company that wants their stuff to work, day-in, day-out, with no employee down time might value it.

moke

I have several festools. The sanders and dust extractors are one of the main ones. I love them....the only time that festool is not great is when you pay for them. I had bosch, triton, and Porter cable sanders prior. I went to a friends house 15 years ago and used his festool sanders and I was smitten. I HATE TO SAND!!! and this at least made it dustless and I could even write after I was done. Have I spent a lot on them...yes...I worked two jobs for 38 years and was forunate to be able to buy myself a ice thing here or there. I also have the domino cutter. It is equally as awesome. It makes a structural joint and makes it easy. Beyond that I do not have any more festools. I have a Makita track saw, and many other brands. I had a similar opinion to you guys that are anti festool....I used to call people that owned them fesfools. But

I looked at that festool table saw when it came out.....and I agree fully with KenB. Plastic and cheapish.

Top Bottom