took a break from pen turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leatherjunkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherjunkie

Just had to take a break from pen turning.
turning christmas presents wore me out. i have not wanted to look at my lathe for awhile. so i started looking at my leather working projects to do list.
I made this holster for my ruger old army handgun. its not 100% finished yet. its about 95% finished. i still have to put the sealer on and 2 straps on then it will be done.
this holster started out as a big piece of flat cowhide. i had to cut out the shape, tool the oak leafs, color it, install the diamond chrome spots, sew it together, shape it. i dont have a sewing machine so all sewing on leather is done 100% by hand. it took me about 4 hours to sew this holster together.
I did use a cocobolo rub stick to help form the leather. Cocobolo is the choice of material for rub sticks by master saddle makers worldwide due to the natural oils in the wood. master saddle makers swear by cocobolo for shaping and forming leather.
also the grips(made by hogue) on the gun is cocobolo

20073652725_ruger%20old%20army%20holster.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Nice looking leather work, Leon! I've been a leather carver for about 25 years and still make all of my holsters. I used to make wallets, etc. too, but there just wasn't enough money in it for my time. But I still love to see good craftsmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom