Today’s Production of Stone Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mach4

Mach4

Here are the pens I finished up today. Drilled the blanks yesterday and glued and finished them up today. All the barrels are for the Artisan Aero
kit which I assemble at the time a pen is delivered. From left to right the material is Spider Lady Jasper, Picture Jasper, Plume Agate, Petrified Wood, Quartzite, Obsidian, Plume Agate, Green Jasper and Petrified Wood.

The assembled pen is an Artisan Exemplar dressed in Petrified Wood.

2F5E49B7-00AF-4763-929A-C9C355F15702.jpeg

Last week I finished up a couple Pink Lady Plume Agate Pens and a Cosmopolitan dressed in granite.

0AFCB671-1E9E-4E48-BFFE-479D79A29F45.jpeg

I feel like I've got the equipment, tooling and processes in place to safely tackle more exotic and expensive materials. Hopefully I'll be able to hand select some exotic material directly from a mine as it comes out of the ground later this week.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mach4

@Mach4 I wonder, would you be able to do obsidian?
The sixth barrel from the left is plain black Obsidian. I hope to add Mahogany Obsidian, Rainbow Obsidian, Silver Sheen Obsidian, Gold Sheen Obsidian, Snowflake Obsidian and some other varieties to the repertoire shortly. Obsidian takes a nice polish and is relatively easy to work, but being glass has a tendency to chip at the sharp edge of the barrel.

hbillings

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm curious - how do you keep the stone pens like granite from cracking when you press the components into the barrel?

Mach4

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm curious - how do you keep the stone pens like granite from cracking when you press the components into the barrel?
They are assembled with glue. If possible, I ream the brass tube right before assembly. Sometimes I use a slightly oversized brass tube and glue. On occasion I file the pen components for clearance. I have successfully pressed in components, but it's not something worth risking given the time and effort to produce the barrel.

Kenny Durrant

Very Nice. I liked what I've seen you post in the past and I'm impressed with the results. It brings back a few memories because my Dad always liked looking at rocks. He would pick up a rock and look closely at the different colors and swirls. Thanks for showing.

Top Bottom