To breathe or not to breathe l

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mylowill

Hello,

I use a variety of different finishes, Have been wondering if you leave your pens once a finish has been applied to let them breathe or off gas

I normally place finished pens in plastic boxe with movable sections and although they aren't totally sealed they do stop dust.

Touch wood - haven't yet had an issue at least not that I've been made aware of...

What do you all do?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

when i have ca finish, i may let the blanks sit for a few hours. i have no idea if it is doing anything. I would say 50-50.

jttheclockman

I Always always let them sit to cure for some time before either putting in a velvet sleeve or sending out or giving away. All finishes need to cure, not only dry. Each finish is different when that time level is so my suggestion is at least a week. Of course temps and humidity play a role too. Just my opinion.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I think most people do not, but those who make finer pens - do. It only takes one nice pen placed too quickly in a closed box or pen case to have the finish ruined in a particular situation. This has been a discussion in the past, but I haven't seen it lately. Gassing-off, curing - both can cause problems when one leasts expects it. Thanks for brining this up as it is helpful.

howsitwork

depend what finish I'm using .

With melamine lacquer, although it dries quickly it needs 24 hours to cure before sanding , buffing etc . I tend to dilute my melamine to 50% strength to allow me to flow it on with a brush . I then leave for abnormal hour or so to touch dry. Then leave in a warm place ( might not be an issue to those in warmer places ! ) overnight to " cure" .

With CA again I leave an hour or so ( cos i can't stand the smell ) but not had a lot of success with CA ( ok I know its me but just saying ...)

With danish oil I leave a few hours between coats then overnight in warm place to totally cure.

jttheclockman

Usually if you can smell the finish it still curing because when a finish is cured it loses its smell because it is now case hardened.

pshrynk

depend what finish I'm using .

With melamine lacquer, although it dries quickly it needs 24 hours to cure before sanding , buffing etc . I tend to dilute my melamine to 50% strength to allow me to flow it on with a brush . I then leave for abnormal hour or so to touch dry. Then leave in a warm place ( might not be an issue to those in warmer places ! ) overnight to " cure" .

With CA again I leave an hour or so ( cos i can't stand the smell ) but not had a lot of success with CA ( ok I know its me but just saying ...)

With danish oil I leave a few hours between coats then overnight in warm place to totally cure.
And what, exactly are you doing in that abnormal hour? 😂:cool:

howsitwork

Ah that would be telling 😉🤦‍♂️

But normally there's a fair amount of coffee drunk and chocolate consumed shall we say...

Top Bottom