Titanium Athena pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from btboone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I'm sure glad I don't try stuff like this, because if I did I'd have to give it up after seeing this. Beautiful work as always. Good luck with your patent, I've heard it takes forever to get one through.

btboone

Thanks guys. Yup, patents usually take a couple years. I also applied for a registered trademark. I was surprised to learn that it will be 7 months before they get to that. It's an exciting new technology that looks to have good potential. I turned a normal pocket knife into what most would think is Damascus steel. You can't tell by looking that it's not.

btboone

Here's an updated version of Athena. I shortened the body around a quarter inch and lengthened the barrel and cap just over an eigth inch. I like the aspect ratio a lot better. I also added texture to the barrel and left the clip natural instead of anodized.

20062272941_athena.jpg
<br />

btboone

Here's the capped picture. I also widened the polished center sections slightly more than they were. Just seems better proportioned this way in my opinion.

200622721225_athenaclosed.jpg
<br />

Johnathan

Holy Crap Bruce! Why is it everytime I think I'm doing pretty good with my pens, I have to stumble upon one of yours. You put my pens to shame! Bravo! Is the clip a faded powder coat, acrylic airbrush, or something else? [:0][:0][:0]

TomServo

bruce: I really like the new version.. the plain clip looks great. Try polishing one to match the rest of the fittings? Love the texture on the barrel/nib/thready part

btboone

Thanks guys. [:)] Brian, I call that texture Cracked Ice that's on the barrel. It's a bunch of triangles and other random shapes.

Jonathan, the first pen I did had a fade of anodizing on the clip. Titanium can change colors like that when you add DC voltage in a conductive fluid. The second version is at the bottom of page 3.

Polishing the clip may be tricky, as it starts out pretty textured. Maybe I can get close while it's still in straight wire form and touch it up after it's bent.

Shane is that one in the hand worth two in the bush? [:D]

Randy_

Bruce: I think you really nailed it with the mods. These pictures may help folks see how the original

has been modified. Hope Bruce won't mind me reposing his pens??

2006228114131_bborig.jpg
2006228114633_bbrev.jpg
<br />
20063192920_bbopenorig.jpg
20063193014_bbopenrev.jpg
<br />

I'm not sure the scale is exactly the same on both photos; but they are close.

btboone

Thanks Randy, I probably should have taken a pic side by side to show them. It's funny that such small changes make such a difference, but I like the new one a lot better.

angboy

I like the clip on the old one better. I guess I can see how the new one is more consistent with the rest of the pen body, but the old clip was such a pretty color!

What did you do with the old one? If it went into the reject drawer, maybe it'd like to come live with me! Pens (could) have feelings too and I wouldn't want it to have a low self-esteem. [:(] It's living in the shadow of it's replacement, and hearing all the comments on how people like the new one better, including it's maker/father! [V] It looks like the new one even took it's name from it! No pen should have to live like that. If I call PPS* I bet they'd award it to me just for making the report. [:D][:D][;)][;)]

* PPS= Pen Protective Services

btboone

I think I would sell the first pen at around 1/3 the normal cost since it is different than the one I have on the website now. I'd even give the buyer the option to anodize the whole pen in the same anodize fade (which would look really cool.) [:D]

I would hate to have PPS after me! [:0] I don't have it in a drawer, but it's on my desk with a bunch of other prototype pens. Hopefully, that's not considered pen abuse.

chigdon

I prefer the newest one myself. What I like about the wire clip is that it doesn't detract from the pen and the more simple the better. I had a chance to see the first pen in person [:D] and the new dimensions look like they are right on as well. Great work as always Bruce!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom