Time for a cocktail??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Why not??

Jeff has approved a plan Dawn and I have been "hatching" for a year or so. We saw the cocktail glasses last year (One set was made and shown to us). We started talking then about the possibility of selling those sets to fund a few prizes, in case the contributions fell off (Yes, I also saw the threads about CSUSA's donations being "sub-standard", so I could anticipate they might be offended, as well as other vendors).

So, with Jeff's approval, we (IAP planners) will be selling sets of four cocktail glasses with the seventh anniversary logo lazered in them, for $35 per set. The "profits" of this sale will purchase the plaques we will be using and whatever additional revenue this may generate will be donated back to the IAP, similar to the "non-donation, non-raffle, coffee cup purchase".

The starting date for this program is not yet established, so this thread has been created for your input and your possible thoughts on this and other "merchandising" programs Jeff could consider.

Thanks to all who have assisted in this, especially Jeff, MikeB and Andrew---without whose "moral support" this could not have happened!!!

You're a GREAT team---I enjoy being a part,

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
COME ON GUYS!

13 views and no comments??? Everyone has to have an opinion, please share it. I'll start. I think this is a great idea with a great potential for future growth. How about you? Do you think it is a stupid idea? Say so. We will all still be friends, I promise.

PR_Princess

Charlie picked up the glasses he needed today and should be starting on the lasering shortly. So, yep they will be available for sale....pretty darn soon too by the looks of it!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We will be getting a "starting run" of these---20 sets. I will probably be the "cheerleader" for selling these sets at $35 per set, maybe plus shipping--that is still an unknown. If they sell out, we will make more (sorry Cheetos!)

Although it is pretty "loose", that's the "plan". Comments encouraged---especially potential pitfalls!!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I did give this some more thought after talking with Ed. I DO think that they will sell, but i am now wonderin if cocktail glasses are the best choice of merchandise to offer a group of penturners / woodworkers. Perhaps items like lathe tools, handles (like the Thompson handles) woodworkers aprons or smocks, etc. with the logo engraved or printed on them would be better for the long term. I do believe that these cocktail glasses will sell quickly, but that the "Novelty' maywear off sooner than with some other items.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I think it's best to think of this as a 'testing ground' for IAP merchandise, Mike.

If these sell well, a link to an IAP shop full of IAP merchandise (i.e. handles for Thompson tools or EZ roughers, smocks, nametags, etc.) is a good possibility, in my mind.

A dedicated IAP Marketplace site, separate from the IAP yet linked to it, would be very profitable, I think...

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I agree with Mike wholeheartedly about the glasses. While I'm sure they WILL sell, I personally would rather see some of the things in Andrews post come readily available instead.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree with Mike wholeheartedly about the glasses. While I'm sure they WILL sell, I personally would rather see some of the things in Andrews post come readily available also.

OK, now we are in FULL agreement, Landon!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

(Name spelling fixed in edit, sorry LandOn!!!)

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
:frown::frown:I'm sorry--and I really mean that--SOMEONE spells their name with an "e":confused::confused:, thought it was you. I will TRY to get it right, in the future.:frown::frown::frown::frown:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
No worries :biggrin: It happens regularly. What is worse is when people misspell my last name, and that happens often. :eek:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
No worries :biggrin: It happens regularly. What is worse is when people misspell my last name, and that happens often. :eek:

Have you considered changing your name to something simpler, say Al or Ed or Tom??? With a complicated last name, maybe Brown???

I'm told it is rarely mis-spelled:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom