Throw Top - Metal tip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russet

I have been searching all over the internet trying to find a place to purchase metal tips for a throw top (spinning top), no success. The plastic ones just don’t hold up well, especially on concrete. So I have turned to one of my favorite resources, this forum, in the hope that someone may have a recommendation. I am looking for 50 or so tips. Your ideas will be greatly appreciated.[8]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

I have no idea wher you would buy something like that or even if you can buy them.

Seem like they would be easy enough to make if you have a lathe.....which I assume you do.

papaturner

Have you tried a temporary nail? they have a double head,cut the first off and use the second to go against the top. You will need to grind to a point of course. I did this and it worked very well. Hope this helps.

Perry

Rifleman1776

My woodturning club has a member who makes a couple thousand tops a year. He likes masonry nails cut to suitable length for tips. Work well and last a long time. Arrow field (target) tips work fine too. Also, the major suppliers (CS, etc.) sell top supplies with tips, at a price, of course.

low_48

You can also use a Brass Escutcheon Pin. It has a spherical head but works great. They're really cheap at the hardware store. If you did want it pointed, chuck it up in the drill press and file the head sharp.

Russet

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas, again the forum came through. I'll give these suggestions a try and see what one works best for me.

Year and years ago when I was young, my father made my top tips from the double headed nails you use for temporary forms.. he would cut off one end and file it down to a point.. the other end was embedded up to the middle head and held in place by what ever magic he used.. don't think they had epoxy in those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom