Three of a kind Barons...closed end customs.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I have been playing with the closed end Baron style lately. I enjoy the new shapes and styles that are possible. Let me know what you think of the trio.

#1 Clipless cocobolo meant as a pocket pen or desk pen with custom finial.
DSC01866.jpg

#2 Spalted maple with chrome kit.
DSC01862.jpg

DSC01863.jpg

#3 Bethlehem Olivewood with gold trim. Detail shot of end details.
DSC01861.jpg

DSC01860.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

All three look GREAT! Nice job! I think I like o'l Spaltie the best (which says a lot, because I'm partial to Cocobolo). Nice job with the grain on the Cocobolo, too.

PenWorks

Very good lookin pens Shane, if I was a buyer, I would take the cocobolo in a heart beat. Love cocobolo and am partial to clipless pens. The secound is just as fine. Still don't like the lines in the middle of the pen on the last one. I am putting the finishing touches on three myself! [:D] You will have your chance for a little pay back [:D]

woodscavenger

Thanks for all of the comments. The wood finial on the cocobolo one was a last minute decision. The black ring is a trim ring from a Baron kit. As for payback Anthony, I have seen too much of your work. There is never anything to complain about.....[:)]

You can send me that Coco one anytime now! Those are beautiful, as a matter of fact, I'd take any one of them![:D] I sure would like to watch someone make one of the closed end pens. I just can't seem to understand how to do it correctly. [?][8)][:D]

PS I also like the wood they are sitting on. That should make some beauties too!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
These are excellent examples of how to modify a tough-to-modify kit!

I'm not sure how the cocobolo could be a pocket pen (without a clip), but it would make an excellent desk pen.

The five bands in the middle of the spalted maple when coupled with the center band are just a little to busy for my taste--but that is just my preference. Also, is that s crack on the lower barrel. I didn't notice it the first time around, and it could be a simple matter of lighting.

The detailing on the closed end of the Bethlehem olive wood is a very nice touch...the kind that could easily become a hallmark of your closed end work.

The display setup is a bit overpowering to the pens. For the most part, I think a simple background forces the focus to the pen, but that's just one man's opinion.

Fleabit

The cocobolo has the win due to the grain on it! Don't get me wrong, all three are great pens. Very well done and matched up nicely. The grooves on the last one IMOH throw off the overall due to the way the grain flows. Still a great looking pen though. I think you did great on all of them.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Great looking pens, I like the cocobolo best and think the BOW would have looked better without the body rings.. but the end rings are a real neat touch...
Personally, and this is only my taste for what it is worth, I am not a big fan of beads and rings on a pen body.. but then again it is my personal taste.. you executed them perfectly...
You did a fantastic job executing all the pens, please do not my personal tastes make you think otherwise..

Rifleman1776

All three look fine to me. Usually I am turned off by extraordinary rings, shapes, etc., but your rings are tasteful and look appropriate. The win my approval, not that you need it. [;)] You can't go wrong with coco or Beth. olive wood. I just finished a coco Baron yesterday that surprised me with excellent figuring. It was just another coco blank I pulled out of the box. I have never seen figuring like that in coco. Question: Your closed end pens look mighty fine, but, do customers like them?

woodscavenger

A lot of my pens are gifts and I have not done many of these lately so I haven't really shown them anywhere. I did these mainly for myself.[:D] I like the baron RB kits but think the kit is a little too short for my handwriting taste so the closed ends give me the option of a longer pen.

As far as the pocket pen comment I meant a front pocket or some of my clinic coats at the hospital have a front pocket with a little divider sewn in to hold one pen.

The more I look at the BOW pen the more I want to see if I can remove the thread insert and redo it. I will probably kill the whole pen if I try.

opfoto

I like all three! Beautiful job. And to think you posted the pics in the order of my preference. [;)] Imagine that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom