Threaded Box With Inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Another threaded box, this one with an inlay created by using a Joyner off center jig. This was the first time I tried the off center jig so I don't know if I just got lucky or if it really is easy to create a symmetric design.

Attachments

• EBA2D3E4-AE44-4AB8-A0E7-BA405C85A448.jpeg
    EBA2D3E4-AE44-4AB8-A0E7-BA405C85A448.jpeg
    519.9 KB · Views: 193
  • FD9F2993-0D8A-46EE-9E78-B7500DB4E442.jpeg
    FD9F2993-0D8A-46EE-9E78-B7500DB4E442.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

Another threaded box, this one with an inlay created by using a Joyner off center jig. This was the first time I tried the off center jig so I don't know if I just got lucky or if it really is easy to create a symmetric design.
Awesome !

KMCloonan

Really Nice! The symmetry looks spot on.

I was thinking about one of your earlier boxes with an inlay on the lid, and you commented that the inlay looked darker than you expected... I was wondering if you could experiment along the same lines as painting the holes of pen blanks, or painting tubes white - which usually results in more light being reflected back through the acrylic blank - What if you painted the bottom (and maybe the walls of your groove white before filling in with the resin particles - would the result be a brighter inlay?

jttheclockman

Ken nice box. I am interested in this off centering jig. Did you show this in operation in a past thread and if so could you link? If not could you show some photos as to what it is and how this works. Looks like perfect circles. I have seen home made jigs that can do this type inlays but they are crude with the use of holesaws. Are there other patterns that can be done.? Looks interesting. Love seeing new segmenting /inlaying work. I follow John Lucas for many years and what designs he can do using his router and he is the one I got the router platform idea from to make some segmented pens I have shown here. He has some other ideas I want to try. Thanks.

I did a quick look up and I see this is a Ruth Niles product she is selling. I watched a couple videos which were not that informative but got the jist of its use now. Did you fill in your grooves with epoxy resin? What did you use to make them? Looks like a cool little tool.

Last edited:

KenB259

Really Nice! The symmetry looks spot on.

I was thinking about one of your earlier boxes with an inlay on the lid, and you commented that the inlay looked darker than you expected... I was wondering if you could experiment along the same lines as painting the holes of pen blanks, or painting tubes white - which usually results in more light being reflected back through the acrylic blank - What if you painted the bottom (and maybe the walls of your groove white before filling in with the resin particles - would the result be a brighter inlay?
I thought about that when I made this one. I thought the lighter maple would lighten up the inlay, but it didn't seem to matter.

KenB259

Ken nice box. I am interested in this off centering jig. Did you show this in operation in a past thread and if so could you link? If not could you show some photos as to what it is and how this works. Looks like perfect circles. I have seen home made jigs that can do this type inlays but they are crude with the use of holesaws. Are there other patterns that can be done.? Looks interesting. Love seeing new segmenting /inlaying work. I follow John Lucas for many years and what designs he can do using his router and he is the one I got the router platform idea from to make some segmented pens I have shown here. He has some other ideas I want to try. Thanks.

I did a quick look up and I see this is a Ruth Niles product she is selling. I watched a couple videos which were not that informative but got the jist of its use now. Did you fill in your grooves with epoxy resin? What did you use to make them? Looks like a cool little tool.
John, this is my first try with the jig so I'm just a rookie with it. Captain Eddie has a pretty good video using it. The inlay I used was a blue lapis stone powder set with thin CA. It seems the sky's the limit as far as patterns, do I know how to achieve most of them? LOL, not yet but it is fun to play around with. I did buy this from Ruth Niles. I wanted a deeper cut so I actually used a parting tool on the cuts. I see guys using small gouges and also skew points.

jttheclockman

John, this is my first try with the jig so I'm just a rookie with it. Captain Eddie has a pretty good video using it. The inlay I used was a blue lapis stone powder set with thin CA. It seems the sky's the limit as far as patterns, do I know how to achieve most of them? LOL, not yet but it is fun to play around with. I did buy this from Ruth Niles. I wanted a deeper cut so I actually used a parting tool on the cuts. I see guys using small gouges and also skew points.
Captain Eddie is still around. Wow have to check him out. I may just have to add this to my toy list. Have to say I am in a buying mood for the last month and a half. Late night splurging. Man I am going to have some rocking pens if I can pull this stuff off. been gathering materials for a list of ideas. Some materials are not panning out because photos are deceiving but working around things. Stay tuned.

Bryguy

Very nice> I just started playing around with the Joyner jig myself. Once I figured out how to stop my lathe from walking off the bench, I started to have some fun with it!

Bryguy

Captain Eddie is still around. Wow have to check him out. I may just have to add this to my toy list. Have to say I am in a buying mood for the last month and a half. Late night splurging. Man I am going to have some rocking pens if I can pull this stuff off. been gathering materials for a list of ideas. Some materials are not panning out because photos are deceiving but working around things. Stay tuned.
There is a spreadsheet program you can download (See the Ruth Niles site for the link) which allows you to design and try out cuts on the computer before hitting the lathe.

Bryguy

What material di you use for the inlay?

Top Bottom