Thread Weaving and CNC and ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Segmenting? Like many here I have been amazed at some of the pen blanks made by thread weaving. Then, JohnT posted this picture.
attachment.php

As I really enjoy patterns, I wanted to see if if could come close with a CNC carved and filled blank. Here's what I came up with. A few defects, but better than many of my first attempts at new designs.
attachment.php

A few years ago, in a challenge, many members tried and eventually came up with a sequence for making 360 degree segmented herringbone blanks in wood. Any takers for this pattern?

Side note: although I did copy this pattern, for those who don't know me, I have not and have no plans to sell any blanks or pens I make.

Attachments

• thread weave.jpg
    thread weave.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3,379
  • sierra tw.JPG
    sierra tw.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,813
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Wow Bruce it looks like this design lends itself to other medium and methods. Would like to have seen a progress view of you taking the blank through the steps using the cnc. As far as segmenting and being somewhat a herringbone pattern, yes I can see it. The cut pieces would have to be angled instead of straight across if i see it right. Would definitely be an interesting challenge. I hope someone takes you up on it.

Good to see people thinking outside the box. Stimulates the mind.:eek: Good job.

magpens

I love that pattern !

Not clear on your meaning in your post:

A few years ago, in a challenge, many members tried and eventually came up with a sequence for making 360 degree segmented herringbone blanks in wood. Any takers for this pattern?

Side note: although I did copy this pattern, for those who don't know me, I have not and have no plans to sell any blanks or pens I make.

Is your picture an actual blank you made ? Would you sell it ?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I love that pattern !

Not clear on your meaning in your post:

Is your picture an actual blank you made ? Would you sell it ?
First comment is simply trying to generate interest. Many had fun in similar challenges.

I did make the blank in the bottom picture. The top picture is from another post. I believe someone will soon be offering similar thread weaved ones for sale. Mine is not for sale.

Last edited:

hanau

i would like to see how you made it.
Do you have a video of making it?
I am debating on getting a 4th axis for my mill just not sure if the Chinese ones are worth playing with.But for the price it may be worth the learning experience.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Sorry no video, but here is the sequence.
1. I start with a solid black blank and turn to just proud of final diameter.

2. I then draw the pattern on a space as wide as the blank and as high as the final circumference of the blank. Note that the pattern may go outside the lines but should overlap if I were to cut it out and wrap it around the blank. I then make a separate drawing for each of the other colors - one for white and one for gray that fits the space. From there, I can use software to generate gcode for carving. I use a very fine bit for this and each color takes about 3 hours to carve. A good time for a nap.

3. After carving, I fill the spaces with epoxy on a slow rotating spindle. About 20 rpms. I have also used polymer clay for other patterns.

4. After curing, I turn round again and carve the other color and repeat the fill. Only challenge with more than 2 colors is to be able to set the zero on the CNC the same place every time. If you look close, I missed by a little.

Last edited:
Top Bottom