Thread Chasing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Has anyone ever tried chasing threads on the celluloid blanks or ebonite with a regular tap and die?

Thanks,
Ryan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

I've done stuff like that in the past. The trick is to use a fresh sharp tap and keep the plastic extra thick until the area is tapped. It can then be turned to correct thickness. The tap will definitely blow out a thin section surface.

vick

I have tried it a couple times and not been completely happy with it. I have not done much tapping so it may just be me.

dfurlano

Acrylics can be very brittle, ebonite should work better. But you can also try PET (polyethylene), PBT (polyester) and Acetal (delrin) which may work out to be the best materials. Not sure about PVC, Nylon, or Teflon they may not be very dimensionally stable.

Someone once said metals work pretty good. :)

You should also use dissimilar materials for the mating threaded parts.

jtate

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12104

When making threads in wood working these are the sort of tools normally used. Now, tools of this type that are small enough for pen use... I don't know where you'd get those.

Taps and dies just seem like brute force.

Julia

leehljp

Member Liaison
I know you asked about celluloid and ebonite but concerning wood I will pass this along - it is not uncommon to tap threads in hardwoods. Just take it slow and easy. Holds well when done correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom