Thoughts on smaller vessel within a vacuum chamber to reduce cactus juice usage.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Riperoo

So just getting started on stabilizing my own blanks, and was wondering if you can use something like a tupperware container with in a vacuum chamber to reduce the amount of juice needed.

Have had a couple of successful runs so far, but I have 3 gallon chamber and easily consume the whole gallon of cactus juice when doing even a minimal batch of blanks. I was thinking that i could put in a smaller tupperware container with the blanks and juice in the chamber, I am assuming that since it is a vacuum, there would be no issues with any sort of container placed under vacuum, but also figured if I was wrong it would be a heck of a mess!

I am sure there is someone on here that may have already done this successfully...or....already made a heck of a mess.

TIA!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

Take a look here
these are what I use, you can get them on Amazon. I've found the mesh is not necessary.

KMCloonan

Back in December I actually wrote to Curtis at TurnTex (Cactus Juice) asking him if he ever considered offering smaller tubes that would fit inside the larger vacuum chamber. I have a couple of plastic mailing tubes that I tried, and it worked really well. I used about 8 ounces of resin in each of the tubes, each a different color. I was able to stabilize 4 blanks (2 of each color) at one time. So instead of having a quart of each color stabilizing resin, I made do with 8 oz. of each. I could likely fit 2 more tubes in the chamber (for a total of 4), but I need to find some. (The ones I have came from one long tube that a length of Kreg "T" track came in. I cut it into two, and trimmed to fit my vacuum chamber.

Curtis wrote back a while ago, said it seemed like a good idea and he would look into it. I have not heard back.

KenB259

I h
Back in December I actually wrote to Curtis at TurnTex (Cactus Juice) asking him if he ever considered offering smaller tubes that would fit inside the larger vacuum chamber. I have a couple of plastic mailing tubes that I tried, and it worked really well. I used about 8 ounces of resin in each of the tubes, each a different color. I was able to stabilize 4 blanks (2 of each color) at one time. So instead of having a quart of each color stabilizing resin, I made do with 8 oz. of each. I could likely fit 2 more tubes in the chamber (for a total of 4), but I need to find some. (The ones I have came from one long tube that a length of Kreg "T" track came in. I cut it into two, and trimmed to fit my vacuum chamber.

Curtis wrote back a while ago, said it seemed like a good idea and he would look into it. I have not heard back.
I have used t track tubes many times, never had any issues

MRDucks2

I see you noticed a previous post of mine, Brian. You can use about any container with an open top. I stabilize my wood vertically most of the time. When using a container you want it to be as much taller than your blanks that you can find and still get in the pot.

My two favorite containers are the 6-pack of condiment containers (ketchup/mustard) from Sam's. I just use the bottle, you can get 4 or 5 blanks in and the shape helps hold the blanks down. They are a little short depending on resin uptake so be prepared to top of your resin immediately after releasing vacuum.

My next favorite containers are the square-ish meow mix plastic cat treat containers. They are a bit taller and hold more blanks but you may need to weight your wood down during vacuum.

I also have used tennis ball containers, bungee cord containers, nut containers, etc.

Find a lid off of a cookie container or 1 gallon ice cream bucket that big enough to cover nearly the entire bottom of your vacuum chamber. Put it in first then set your smaller containers on top of it. The 1/2" lip is enough to prevent any spillage or bubble over from the small containers getting inside the vacuum chamber.

Any left over juice when clear stabilizing can be reused, but I do not mix new and used juice. Just a me thing.

Colors can be reused to and it seems mixed colors end up being some ahade of purple most of the time for me, even if they look brown, gray or blackish.

Sly Dog

I am also fairly new at stabilizing and just tried dyes recently, using a quart-sized plastic container I bought at the grocery store (absent the lid) in my 3-gal chamber with no issues. As mentioned, the container must be large enough to submerge the blank(s) with enough room at the top to accommodate the initial bubbling and avoid the mess. Worked fine.

Charlie_W

Years ago, an club member would use the waxed cardboard milk containers for small batches with a drip pan below in case of foam over. Worked fine.

DwightE

I sometimes lay my tank on its side and use inexpensive, disposable foil baking dishes to do small batches. You have to bring the vacuum down slowly as you don't have much room for the foaming action, but once it settles down it works fine.

Riperoo

Thank you all for confirming my thought process and apologies for the delayed response, I was technology compromised for a few days! Looks like there are lots of options, I'll have to raid the wifes tupperware stash!!

Top Bottom