Thou shalt wear gloves when changing the bandsaw blade !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

Well got fed up with a slow cutting blade bandsaw blade so decided to change it for the correct one for the job. Much removal of stuff to get to the stored blades and in the drawer were the cut proof gloves, did I wear them ? Nah ! I'm careful ! Only a couple of yelps as the points on the new blade reminded me it was sharp. The. to tidy up and put things away. All going fine until a moments inattention whilst wire brushing the resin and dust off the previous blade which then pulled through my hand slicing my thumb up. I would show the cut up bit but it took a while to stop bleeding and I am not going in to admit to SWMBO ( who is a nurse ) .
C40EE014-2D6A-4258-927C-18AAFBA6F323.jpeg
So the moral folks is WEAR THE DAMN GLOVES that's why I keep them in the drawer as I now remember. Oh and make sure the workshop first aid kit has a good selection of plasters and bits👍

🤦‍♂️ feeling a right burk just now .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well got fed up with a slow cutting blade bandsaw blade so decided to change it for the correct one for the job. Much removal of stuff to get to the stored blades and in the drawer were the cut proof gloves, did I wear them ? Nah ! I'm careful ! Only a couple of yelps as the points on the new blade reminded me it was sharp. The. to tidy up and put things away. All going fine until a moments inattention whilst wire brushing the resin and dust off the previous blade which then pulled through my hand slicing my thumb up. I would show the cut up bit but it took a while to stop bleeding and I am not going in to admit to SWMBO ( who is a nurse ) .
View attachment 234228
So the moral folks is WEAR THE DAMN GLOVES that's why I keep them in the drawer as I now remember. Oh and make sure the workshop first aid kit has a good selection of plasters and bits👍

🤦‍♂️ feeling a right burk just now .

I store my blades on a peg and before storing them I use this process where I grab the blade and use both wrists to twist it into a three ring stored blade (sorry, not sure what you call it or the process). I always wear gloves when twisting/untwisting the blade but learned early on to wear a face shield also. Didn't hit my face but got the brim of my hat. Tore it up pretty good and made the hat useless. I should have kept it as a reminder but it was my favorite "U.S. Navy" hat at the time and felt bad that I ruined it (haven't owned one since). I've learned to always expect the unexpected. Gotta agree on the first aid kit, mine is always fully stocked! Thanks for sharing this important event and I hope it all heals up well.

KLJ

I store my blades on a peg and before storing them I use this process where I grab the blade and use both wrists to twist it into a three ring stored blade
This works good but I don't know what it is called. You can also put your foot on the blade on the floor grab the top with one hand and twist it and it will go into the three loops same as the wrist twist and it keeps it out of your face. I had a job where I had to remove a large band saw blade every day it works well.

howsitwork

I learned the foot on the floor and twist method the hard way years ago and use it still. Tell me I'm not the onot one who unfurls a blade by flinging it away from myself and bystanders?? Learned that one from a guy selling blades who said "watch this..... but from a safe distance" . Once seen never forgotten , which is why I'm so narked with myself for not using the gloves .

Then again , I was making a shrink pot 6 weeks ago I cut towards my thumb and.... yes you've guessed it but it was an asking cut so only a small stab wound. Didn't have cutproof gloves with me that time though so I do have an excuse ( as well as stupidity ) for it. Pleased with the shrink pot though , first attempt and , so far, it hasn't split 🤞

howsitwork

Tom

of it makes you feel better about the hat I have a 3/4 dia long reach router but with a 20 degree bend in it. Thankfully it was in a router table and I was doing a deep groove , in stages mind you ! About fourth or fifth cut , at 1/4" a time , I didn't concentrate and allowed the router to climb rout in the cut. It grabbed , I hit the off switch and held the wood down forcefully on the table (figured if the bit did anything silly the more wood between it and me the better) . When all was quiet I lifted the wood to find a bend router bit and a bit of damage to the shaft of the router ( 3hp router with 1/2 collet) but it still works ok. Kept the bit as a souvenir on display to remind me. Gave it to a demonstrator at my club as an example of the need to keep focussed on the job in hand.

Fell much better now for confessing that .

PBorowick

Ouch...but on the silver lining side at least those cut parts are still attached!
I do the foot on the floor with my bandsaw blades. I used to work at a butcher shop and the band saw is one of the scariest tools to me (all tools have my utmost respect and caution).
Nothing like cutting up frozen solid t-bones and watching that blade go through them like they are butter to get your mind going on what it would do to my puny little fingers.....

Top Bottom