This year Ornaments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kent4Him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kent4Him

Originally posted by GaryMGg
<br />Nicely done Chris. And way ahead of the curve. Knotted bird house? That's neat. Higher rent too I'll bet. [:D]

I'm planning on increasing the knotted houses from $17 to $20. I'm also planning on increasing the other segmented and accented bird hole ones to $18. They all take more work.

gothycdesigns

Is there any links showing instructions on turning bird house ornaments? I've been eyeing this type of project for sometime but have not really come across any instructions such as Dia. of ID or OD and height.

And as an added curiosity, where or how do you sell them? Like a Saturday Market type venue or word of mouth sales?

Great job and I can't wait to start turning things like this.

Later,
Ray K.

kent4Him

Originally posted by gothycdesigns
<br />Is there any links showing instructions on turning bird house ornaments? I've been eyeing this type of project for sometime but have not really come across any instructions such as Dia. of ID or OD and height.

And as an added curiosity, where or how do you sell them? Like a Saturday Market type venue or word of mouth sales?

Great job and I can't wait to start turning things like this.

Later,
Ray K.

I posted my directions in the following thread:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19781&SearchTerms=birdhouse

Roger Garrett does his a different way. Here is his thread:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20403&SearchTerms=birdhouse

As far as selling them, the two main ways are word of mouth and craft shows. I find that they really help me in the craft shows. Some shows, I only sell 3-4 pens; not quite worth doing. But if I sell 10 houses plus the 3-4 pens, it's not a bad show. Also, while the women are looking at the houses, the husbands have a chance to look at the pens. The birdhouses are also fresh and unique. I have yet to run into anyone else at the shows that I do that sells them.

Darley

Chris those are very nice and I starting my Christmas turning too, here downunder we don't do bird house but I find them really atractive, do you hollow them? BTW the #3 from right is that a 7m/m brass tube I see in the hole ?

Originally posted by kent4Him
<br />
Originally posted by Fred_erick
<br />Chris ... what size are these bird houses. BTW, great job! [:D]

They range in height from 4" to 7". The internal diameter of the house is 1 1/4".

kent4Him

Originally posted by Darley
<br />Chris those are very nice and I starting my Christmas turning too, here downunder we don't do bird house but I find them really atractive, do you hollow them? BTW the #3 from right is that a 7m/m brass tube I see in the hole ?

Originally posted by kent4Him
<br />
Originally posted by Fred_erick
<br />Chris ... what size are these bird houses. BTW, great job! [:D]

They range in height from 4" to 7". The internal diameter of the house is 1 1/4".

They are hollowed out with a 1 1/4" Forsner bit. That allows the base of the house to fit on the jam chuck that I make to turn them on.

That isn't a brass tube. That particular one is a hackberry tube that I create. It is a 1/2" internal diameter and 3/4" outer diameter. That idea I got from Dick Sing's book.

jttheclockman

Chris

Nice work on those indeed. I have to agree with you that they are great sellers. I sold over 30 of those at craft shows last year. I need to get into the shop and make more for this year. Here is my version of the birdhouse.
CopyofIMGP0139.jpg

Ron Mc

Chris,
You do realize that if my wife sees this years models I'll have to buy a couple more?[:eek:)]
Very nice!

kent4Him

Originally posted by jttheclockman
<br />Chris

Nice work on those indeed. I have to agree with you that they are great sellers. I sold over 30 of those at craft shows last year. I need to get into the shop and make more for this year. Here is my version of the birdhouse.
CopyofIMGP0139.jpg

Very nice. I'm guessing that you have also seen Dick Sing's book.

kent4Him

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007
<br />What's the name of that book? Those look like a lot of fun to make!

It's called "Turning Miniature Birdhouses" CSUSA has it:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Books___Projects___Turning_Miniature_Birdhouses___turning_mini_birdhouse?Args=

RasMan

Chris (and John), those look very nice. I was thinking about making some for Christmas presents next year. After seeing yours, I think I will.

Darley

Originally posted by jttheclockman
<br />Chris

CopyofIMGP0139.jpg

John those are very nice could you tel me what size of birds did you use, small or large? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom