This was sooooo cool!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
A while back I was at a gallery where I sell and the gallery president "gifted" me with some wood. Out of the basement. The gallery is in a 150+ year old firehouse and this was part of the original structure. Most of it looked rough but I took it because they are such wonderful people and they felt good about finding me some wood. There was some fun to be had - but not much. I glued up some pieces to get more than a 2x4 and turned some candlesticks and a couple other goodies, but a LOT of this was split and REALLY deteriorated.
Then I ran across this piece
bullet1a.jpg

Pretty awful. But it was old growth red oak. The growth rings were so fine they looked like stacked tissue paper.
bullet2a.jpg

Then I poked at the cracked piece from the first pic and it fell off. Hmmm. What's that? A bug?
bullet3.jpg

It looked like a rock. Inside a 250 year old oak? I poked at it and it fell out.
bullet4a.jpg

It's heavy for its size. So I scraped a little and it's metal. Soft metal. Lead. Holy cow! It's a bullet! A 200 year old bullet!!!!
bullet6a.jpg

Somebody took a shot at something (or somebody) 200 years ago and hit a red oak tree instead. And now I get to find it. What a great gift
bullet7a.jpg

I'm thinking I'll put together the story and return it to the gallery. Part of their history.
Anyway, thanks for reading and looking. Hope you enjoyed a history lesson from Grand Ledge, Michigan.

Attachments

• bullet5a.jpg
    bullet5a.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 81
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
... Dead men tell no tales. :eek: . Very cool. It will make a nice addition to the history of the building.

Top Bottom