Thinking about learning to turn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RPLewis

I am thinking about learning to turn pens and came across this forum. WOW... is there a lot of info here! I have always worked with wood.. building custom cabinets, furniture, etc. Have done a little turning if needed in something I was buiding, but never a pen.
I have been looking at the so many pen kits that it's hard to decide which one I want to start with..LOL. But, there is a question that I have that I seem not to find an answer to. I am looking to find a pen kit that is a rollerball pen with the click action. I can find it in a regular ball point pen but not rollerball. Does anyone have any info concerning this.

Thanks for any help... Randy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Hi Randy, Welcome to the IAP. A click Roller Ball. I've not seen one as of yet. I'm guessing mostly due to the fact that the RB is a capped pen. That being said, I surely haven't seen everything... Maybe someone will be along shortly and know of a click RB.

Enjoy the site..

hewunch

Randy, I think about the closest you are going to get is a Gel Refill or a Private reserve refill for the pens that use a Parker style refill. And welcome to the party!

glycerine

Don't think about it, just do it!! I think most rollerballs will dry out, so they are mostly capped pens, but if you make a ballpoint, use a gel refill or a Schmidt EasyFlow, they both write similar to a rollerball...

RPLewis

Thanks everyone for the replies and welcomes. I knew if I joined this site and asked questions I would get the info needed. It IS the gel point that I wanted instead of the rollerball. Thanks for getting me straightened out on this one. I have been using the old cheap trow aways for years and want to make a few click pens that will use the gel refills. Sierra pen sounds like what I need.

Thanks,

Randy

IPD_Mrs

Nice to have you aboard!! You have just joined the addiction that will take you a lifetime to overcome (and you won't care!) Have fun and ask questions - like you noted above, you'll get lots of help from the friendly folks here at IAP. Also, enjoy the library as there is a great deal of useful information cataloged and ready for review.

RPLewis

Just ordered my kits and stuff. Hope I got what I need. If not... I'll be asking you guys where I went wrong... LOL. Not really sure what type of finish I need to do, but I guess I will find out next week. I've read about the CA finish and the buffing too. If you guys have any ideas, please don't hesitate to tell me. Also, I have read about sanding up to 600 grit and 12000 MM. It's all confusing to me at this point...LOL. Send me any ideas you may have! I just want to make some pens for me and my friends that don't fall apart 3 months after I give them to them...LOL.

Thanks for all of your welcomes and info.

Randy

markgum

HI Randy;
welcome to the fun. The best thing is did when I started was to hook up with a turning group and watch and learn. Where you located at? (sorry if I missed that) Several IAP Chapters meet frequently and always fun and good info available at these.

ctubbs

Randy, welcome to the IAP from the lake country of West Kentucky. Grab some scrap wood and make some shavings. When you learn all the bad habits that I have, then you can find out the right way. Join right in. You have made a great decision to hit here and ask question.
Charles

LeeR

Randy,
I've been a woodworker for 40+ years, but just bought a lathe in October. Started turning pens in November, and did 15 for Christmas, and up to 20 so far. Lots of great info here. I also highly recommending buying some books, and check out "how-to" videos on the Internet. I've been watching videos on wine stopper turning on YouTube and have learned some really great techniques. I can relate to your question on rollerball pens, I tend not to like to have to pull of a pen's cap. I bought some Parker-style pen kits and replaced the standard ink refills with gel refills and am very pleased with them. There are lots of pen kits using the Parker style refill. I like the Sierras, especially the Elegant Beauty versions, although more for their looks than their feel. I personally like the feel of the Cigar-type pens the best. I just made a WoodCraft Retro, and it has a top-twist cap to advance or retract the refill, also a Parker-type pen. Lots of interesting designs are available. You will become addicted for sure!

Last edited:
Top Bottom