thin layer???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cd18524

In referring to a CA finish, what would you consider a thin layer and how many thin layers make up a strong finish? I have my own ideas, just curious how others feel.

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rtparso

I use thin CA and apply a thick coat and let the lathe spin real slow for a few seconds and then remve the exess with saw dust then sand with MM to 12000 then PPP for final shine (PPP has polishing compound in it). This methiod is not high gloss but looks nateral.

cd18524

I am just talking CA. I have a process I am happy with. I was just curious how thick others put it on and how many times they put it on to achieve what they feel is a good finish.
Chris

byounghusband

Chris,
After I sand the blank with 240, I take a paper towel and fold it in half about 4 times.I end up with a 1-1/2" pad. I put a line of Med CA on the pad and hand turn the lathe as I put the pad to the blank. I turn it enought to spread the glue evenly on the blank. Then I do it on the other blank. After that, I turn onthe lathe and let it spin for a minute and then sand again with the same 240 as I last used to make a slurry with the glue and sanding dust. Afther that, I go 320, 400, 600 and all the way to 12,000MM. I use HUT PPP, and then HUT Crystal Polish. Works great for me every time I have done this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom