Thin Blue Line

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PreacherJon

My son is graduating from the academy in November. I just gave myself the notion to make some kind of, Thin Blue Line, pen for him. Does anyone know of some blanks out there that would make this possible? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

calabrese55

If you are inclined you can make them yourself.
The photos below are pens made with cut vinyl graphics attached to the tube and cast in Alumilite clear slow resin.
You can also look into water slide decals apply that graphic to the tube and cast in resin.
Tha
he advantage of the water slide decal is you can have multiple colors printed, include personalization like badge numbers. agency or officre's mane.
There are several youtube vids on applying decal graphich to pen work. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pen+decals
Again the photos below are cut vinyl applied in two colors in the future I would opt for the decal process.
calabrese55

Attachments

• PD pen 2.jpg
    PD pen 2.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 48
  • PD pen 1.jpg
    PD pen 1.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 47
  • PD pen 4.jpg
    PD pen 4.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 44
  • PD pen 3.jpg
    PD pen 3.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 49

egnald

I've made several of the thin Red Line blanks and I wholeheartedly agree with Rick (rixstix), the Alumilite from Turner's Warehouse are much easier to turn and work with than many of the others. - Dave

PreacherJon

If you are inclined you can make them yourself.
The photos below are pens made with cut vinyl graphics attached to the tube and cast in Alumilite clear slow resin.
You can also look into water slide decals apply that graphic to the tube and cast in resin.
Tha
he advantage of the water slide decal is you can have multiple colors printed, include personalization like badge numbers. agency or officre's mane.
There are several youtube vids on applying decal graphich to pen work. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pen+decals
Again the photos below are cut vinyl applied in two colors in the future I would opt for the decal process.
calabrese55
Thanks... I'm probably the one who came up with using decals on pens 15+ years ago... I did a tutorial on Lumber Jocks. I'm glad there are videos now about how to do it. I guess what I really want is a barrel that is the actual thin blue line flag.

egnald

Thanks... I'm probably the one who came up with using decals on pens 15+ years ago... I did a tutorial on Lumber Jocks. I'm glad there are videos now about how to do it. I guess what I really want is a barrel that is the actual thin blue line flag.
Exotic Blanks carries Thin Blue Line flag inlay blanks for the Bolt Action and Sierra style kits. I've never made anything using inlay kits, but there are YouTube videos out there related to using laser inlay blanks. - Dave

calabrese55

Try these , I suspect the Penn State and Turninz blanks are the same blanks ????

calabrese55

JohnU

Most of the production line blanks are a form of PR, which can be more brittle because it's harder resin. It's not harder to turn, just different. You can make blanks like these very easily. Just pour a solid black blank, let cure, set the table saw fence so the thin kerf blade cuts a groove down the middle of the blank leaving about 1/8" below center. Then flip and cut the opposite side, to leave a 1/4" solid middle. This is easier than trying to center a strip of color and cast black around it, unless you build a specific mold with an even groove at each side to hold the color strip. Then recast the color in the grove. The problem with alumilite urethane is that it doesn't alway stick real well to itself which is why most are made with PR. You can get away with small additions like this but you may need to apply a CA finish over it to stop the two colors from separating and leaving a small crack along them over time. I've done many this way and without a ca finish could later feel the joint where the two colors meet. Larger segments aren't usually done with this resin because there is a larger risk of them breaking apart while turning.

Top Bottom