The section

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Today we're on to the section, of course we've never made a section before, so it's all new. I cut my first tenon and as you'll see I made it slightly too small, the body and section still go together, next time I'll do better. The nib fits the section well. I think we're going to modify the threads where the cap screws to the body…the threads on the body are so long and it takes a bit to screw on the cap, and there may be a few other minor modifications but over all so far so good.

Warmer in the garage today (we're supposed to be 106) , so only little spurts of work between breaks. 😂

Attachments

• IMG_1940.jpeg
    IMG_1940.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1941.mov
    21 MB
  • IMG_1944.jpeg
    IMG_1944.jpeg
    458.2 KB · Views: 82
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Great progress!

Your forecast reminds me why I moved north 3 years ago!
It's always hot here in the summer, but this summer has been the summer of triple digits almost daily. Fall here is practically non existent, we pretty much go from Summer to Winter, but I'm ready.

egnald

Very Cool.

Jim Hinze designed a tool he called the Perfect Tenon Cutter. I don't know if he still makes them, but they are still sold at Turner's Warehouse. They are kind of expensive at $150 for the full set (M9 through M15) but if and when I take the leap into kit-less, I will probably get one. I am just not good at making precision tenons with standard tools and this thing looks foolproof - and fast!

Bob Blanford (RGB Woodturner) did a video about it several years ago. Here is the link: Turn A Perfect Tenon Every Time.

derekdd

It's always hot here in the summer, but this summer has been the summer of triple digits almost daily. Fall here is practically non existent, we pretty much go from Summer to Winter, but I'm ready.
Yeah, I grew up in OK close to the TX border. I think I wore short sleeved dress shirts to work 7-8 months out of the year before we moved from there 3 years ago.

As a kid, I worked out in that heat all summer hauling hay, building fence, working cattle, etc. The older I get, the less I can handle the heat. The high here today is a scorching 80.

Hippie3180

Very Cool.

Jim Hinze designed a tool he called the Perfect Tenon Cutter. I don't know if he still makes them, but they are still sold at Turner's Warehouse. They are kind of expensive at $150 for the full set (M9 through M15) but if and when I take the leap into kit-less, I will probably get one. I am just not good at making precision tenons with standard tools and this thing looks foolproof - and fast!

Bob Blanford (RGB Woodturner) did a video about it several years ago. Here is the link: Turn A Perfect Tenon Every Time.
We have one on the list, that would be a tremendous help. Thanks for the link.

Hippie3180

Yeah, I grew up in OK close to the TX border. I think I wore short sleeved dress shirts to work 7-8 months out of the year before we moved from there 3 years ago.

As a kid, I worked out in that heat all summer hauling hay, building fence, working cattle, etc. The older I get, the less I can handle the heat. The high here today is a scorching 80.
Ugh! Oklahoma definitely ranks with the heat. My grandparents lived there, I spent time in the summer with them, fishing.

I can't imagine fixing fences, working cattle out in it. Like you, now that I'm older the heat is pretty unbearable anymore.

Dannv

Looks like you've got a good start. This is one I just posted. You can see the shape of the section I tend to make (I use a radius skew as a scraper to make the shape) and you can see where I turned off the threads. I am using M14 x 0.8 triple start threads. With them that short it's between 1 and 1.5 turns to take the cap off. Be gentle turning off the threads and use a REALLY sharp tool and very light cuts so you get no catches. If it catches it'll break. (Again, I use the skew as a scraper for this.)

dffp15-a.jpg
dffp15-c.jpg

I hope this helps.

Hippie3180

Looks like you've got a good start. This is one I just posted. You can see the shape of the section I tend to make (I use a radius skew as a scraper to make the shape) and you can see where I turned off the threads. I am using M14 x 0.8 triple start threads. With them that short it's between 1 and 1.5 turns to take the cap off. Be gentle turning off the threads and use a REALLY sharp tool and very light cuts so you get no catches. If it catches it'll break. (Again, I use the skew as a scraper for this.)

View attachment 358448View attachment 358449

I hope this helps.
Thank you for the tips, you're very generous. This is our first one and we have something's to work on for sure.

Hippie3180

You're welcome. Happy to help out. My first kitless was made spring of last year, I think.
Cool! There's hope. We finished it, will post as soon as I get a photo. There will be some modifications, but overall very pleased. Starting out we didn't really think we'd make it through the whole thing, but we did…so that's a win!

Top Bottom