Full Review The Presimo Fountain/Rollerball kit from PSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

I'm on a roll tonight :D

This review is regarding both the fountain pen and rollerball Presimo kit from PSI. You can also purchase this kit at woodturningz.com

The kit costs 7.45 for both the fountain and rollerball kit. You can also buy this kit that has an etched design on the cap (costs about a dollar extra I think). 7.45 is woodturningz price, not including quantity discounts or a 10mm drill bit and bushing set (another ~10 dollar one-time expense)

The presimo has a simple, single tube design. I want to make it clear that i freaking LOVE whoever designed the tube on this pen. 10mm is a great size, because you can buy pre-cast blanks of carbon fiber, feathers, and the like. But the real selling point for me is the length, 2.5 inches. As blanks are sold in 5 inch long sticks, you can get exactly two pens out of each one, which is great for making book matched fountain/rollerball sets.

Assembling this kit is pretty easy. You only have two parts to press in: the end cap and the female threads for the nib housing. They are the same size, so it doesn't matter which part you decide to be the front or back.

Photos are available here and here

Now, some people have a negative opinion of this kit. I was slightly apprehensive about buying it because I had read some reviews of people complaining that the cap assembly comes apart with use. I haven't had any problems with this so far, so PSI may have updated their design, but I will edit this post later with more information.

This pen was definitely designed with turners and customers in mind. The Fountain pen nibs that come with the kit (go figure, right?) are some of the highest out-of--the-box quality I have seen as of yet. The cap, instead of being some obscene shiny monstrosity of solid chrome, sports a matte brushed nickel look that acts as a nice contrast piece to both the chrome hardware and the finish on your pen. It screws onto the front, but the male threads on the nib are very far forward and don't get in the way of your writing comfort. The cap press-posts onto the back, again eliminating unsightly threads. The pen is also very well balanced in the hand, even with a heavy material such as tru-stone, you can write with it for extended periods of time and not have your hand feel fatigued.

This pen writes with either a schneider (my preference) or a schmidt rollerball refill. The fountain pens take a normal PSI cartridge and come with ink pumps as well

I definitely like this pen. Unfortunately it is only available in chrome and brushed nickel finish, no gun metal, but we will wait and see :) for a seven-ish dollar pen, It is definitely a good value and a good choice for beginning turners (considering other such pens in the same price range)

I will certainly be ordering more of these. I will keep tabs on the cap, but so far, so good.

Enjoy guys! any questions, just ask.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Randy:
I love this set, too. I made about 20 or 30 of them and they all sold quickly. UNFORTUNATELY, I ended up getting every one of them back for repair.

The issue is that the screw that holds the clip and thread retainer inside the cap comes loose. Now that I know this is an issue, I simply disassemble the cap and reassemble it using red Loctite to secure the tiny nut that holds the entire cap assembly.

This is not a big deal, IF YOU KNOW IN ADVANCE that there is an issue. Unfortunately, for me, the tiny nut was lost in almost every set that I had to replace.

I'm with you, thought! Now that I know the fix, I'll be making these again, simply because they write very well (I change out the Topball refill), balance nicely, extremely simple to make and even after having to make the repairs, they are profitable.

PenMan1

The cap issue is really a customer issue, too. The cap threads to close, but it is a friction post. Customers try to "unscrew" the cap from the friction post which loosens the nut.

Now, when I get the sets, I just go ahead and disassemble the cap and apply the Loctite.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Randy,

First off, thank you for the quality posts and reviews! Its great to see a newer member with this much sharing and enthusiasm.

Second, a request - would you mind posting pictures into your threads with your reviews, in addition to linking over to your etsy site? My reason for asking this is that someday those pens will sell, then if you remove or change anything on etsy, the future readers of your review won't have your pictures.

Lastly, I have a couple of tips for your sales page. #1 you state "This solid iridium german-made nib".... the only part that is iridium is the tiny blob at the end of the nib. I suggest you do some more reading here to understand Fountain pens (it will help you to sell). #2 you list the ink as "Ink: PSI fountain Cartridge"... I would drop the PSI (no need to give your buyers any opportunity to figure out where your materials come from) - and I would go further to suggest that you consider offering a package of better ink. When I sell FP, I usually offer a free set of Private Reserve ink. Its much nicer ink, and then they may come back for more ink and/or pens!

Texatdurango

"The Fountain pen nibs that come with the kit (go figure, right?) are some of the highest out-of--the-box quality I have seen as of yet."

Randy, glad you like the nibs but I have one suggestion. While you may be tickled, they are still cheap oriental nibs and if you happened to have a knowledgeable buyer at your display he/she will likely sit it back down quicker than he/she picked it up once they recognize the nib for what it is.

Spending a few more dollars on a "name brand' recognizable nib will definitely help make sales where the oriental nib will not.

To add to what Dean said, when a customer appears to like one of my pens but is hesitating or mulling things over, I will pick up a handful of Private Reserve "12 packs" of cartridges and start calling them out by color and tell them that I include a pack of cartridges with every pen and to stop me when I call out the name of their favorite color. Once they pick a color the pack of 12 is set beside the pen which is placed on top of the velvet sleeve along with the converter and asked if they want to charge the sale or pay cash. I'm far from being any semblance of a salesman BUT THAT works for me and I just returned from a pen show with a pretty big smile on my face! :)

Randy Simmons

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips on FP's. Im still kind of a fountain pen noob, I've been combing the threads for all the info I can, haha. I will alter my listings according to your feedback.

Thanks,

Randy

Kdoc87

I know this is a really old thread, but I just had one of these kits fail in the same way with the threaded insert coming loose inside the cap. Does anyone know how to take the cap assembly apart and what tools are needed? I'm just not figuring it out :confused:...Thanks!

khansen

In case you still haven't figured it out - I tried recreating the customer issue and it worked. Post the cap onto the back end of the pen by pressing it on. Then gently start to twist it as though you needed to unscrew it to remove. Two of mine worked right away, the 3rd needed a little more effort but eventually it came unscrewed as well. Good Luck!

Drewboy22

In case you still haven't figured it out - I tried recreating the customer issue and it worked. Post the cap onto the back end of the pen by pressing it on. Then gently start to twist it as though you needed to unscrew it to remove. Two of mine worked right away, the 3rd needed a little more effort but eventually it came unscrewed as well. Good Luck!

Thanks for the update, I am getting ready to make a few of these and was wondering if the problem still existed. Now I know I need to fix them :biggrin:

AJMwoodcrafts

With regard to replacing the fountain nib, how does one go about finding compatible nibs for the various pen kits out there. I have never noticed a way to upgrade while browsing PSI or Berea. Admittedly, I'm a total pen turning noob.

jcm71

Thanks for the update, I am getting ready to make a few of these and was wondering if the problem still existed. Now I know I need to fix them :biggrin:

I just had one of mine fail at a craft show. Thank goodness no customers were around. I have sold 16 of these over the past year or so. Still waiting for the inevitable return for repair. I published a recall on my website for those who have bought them. I have no idea who they were. I have six of them completed in inventory. I was able to disassemble one of them and apply the loctite. I have 11 component sets still to make. I was able to disassemble 10 of them. The one I couldn't was packaged in a small zip lock bag. The caps of the 10 I could disassemble were all packaged in bubble wrap. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom