The potential dangers of collecting cactus...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Look what I found in one of my cactus patches this weekend! If he had been further away from my house, I would not have killed him but he was a little too close for comfort. Especially since I have a 10 month old and she will be wanting to play outside one of these days! Anyway, if you plan to collect cactus, please be carefull. If you are in cactus country, you are also in rattlesnake country most of the time!

18" long Western Diamondback Rattlesnake

200611280159_snake.jpg

I wonder how many pens he would make?:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Curtis,

Another item to try to cast for you [;)]

Kidding aside...[;)] it is true. I luckily haven't encountered any snakes yet but did see a lot of HUGE scorpions.

TBone

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Daaaaaaang. Yeah, that's a bit creepy with a kid.

Kid's got nothing to do with it, that's just creepy PERIOD.
If I had seen him, his head would not be attached because I don't get close enough to hit him with anything other than a 357 or a 45. I know all about eating mice and whatever. But you see a snake, I see a target. Just the way it is and always will be.[8D]

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
It really was not that big of a deal. I actually pinned his head down with a stick and picked him up! He really started rattling and I got a little freaked out so I decided to go ahead and put him back on the ground and dispatch him! I have never caught or handled a live rattler but have always wanted to. I don't care to do it again, though!

Curtis, You da man... def got more brass than me...I saw my father crack the head off a bull snake one time, just like cracking a bull whip... I was 4 and had nightmares about that snake until I was nearly 10.. I don't touch snakes.. PERIOD

Charles

That's a great specimen for sectioning and casting. Hope you skinned it. If it's frozen and you don't want it bring it to the pen Bubba get-together in Houston. I'll take it off your hands![:D]

TBone

Originally posted by MesquiteMan
<br />It really was not that big of a deal. I actually pinned his head down with a stick and picked him up! He really started rattling and I got a little freaked out so I decided to go ahead and put him back on the ground and dispatch him! I have never caught or handled a live rattler but have always wanted to. I don't care to do it again, though!

Definitely more brass than me. I don't even want to watch you pick him up. If I picked him up, I'd squeeze him to death because I couldn't put him down. I'll just buy my blanks, don't even want to cast him. Although the rattle cast would be cool. This is one of the reasons why I never go into the woods without my pistol.

PenWorks

I have no use for rattlesnakes on my property, wether close or far from the house. However, we don not use your stick method [:0]
My daughter and I prefer the point and shoot method [:D] Now bull snakes are a good thing, they keep the rattlers away.
I hope you tan that guy, it is a real nice color. Most the skins we buy are greenish color, I much prefer the brown.
So was he an appitiser ? or did you discard the meat? [:)]

twoofakind

The only good snake is a dead snake![;)] I have not ran across any rattlers here in GA, the only ones we get are garden snakes and the variety, even those get bullets thrown at them.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom