The Penturners Almanac

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtjw

The Penturners Almanac has started up.

We have been contacting people and suppliers. Planning for a November publication date. Hopefully will have a unbound printed half way through version for provo for everyone to sneak a peek.

A website will be set up in the next few weeks for the almanac and to tell more about it. Here is a sample of what we are looking at:
Subscriptions starting at 10.00 pre publication and 12.00 after publication. Proceeds that we make will go towards benefiting the Penturning website forums that contribute to the almanac. So far The Pen Shop and IAP have committed. I am still talking with the Yahoo and PMG. So far the advertisers are going good also. Within 30 minutes of starting, we had one half page ad and one full page ad.

All proceeds after everything is paid for will help the sites out and also help start other Penturning related topics. Maybe a Penturning rendezvous in the south or east.

Here is kind of a starting list of who is committed or almost committed:

Jim Lambert: Websites and Penturning

The Pen Shop

The IAP

Russ Fairfield

CSUSA- have talked with Nils and he is working on maybe an ad and maybe an article.

Bear Tooth Woods- Full Page ad

Wood Chips- Half Page ad

??????- handmade pens up against the big guys.

??????- looking for someone to do one on which way penturners are going, wood or man made materials.

???????- Selling and Marketing

???????- Pen Shows

Suppliers- upcoming news and events

Penturners Photographs- couple of pages of penturners and photographs of their pens. Just a thought.

Supplier Directory

????????? and anything else I, you, we, or anyone else can think of.

Everything is not set in stone yet. When we have everything ready, it will be put on the website.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

I think just the proposed cover shot is worth the price of 'subscription'. Nice pen and a good prelude for other classy articles. Good luck with the drive.

-Peter-

rtjw

We will also have a section in the almanac of Photos from penturners of their pens. Pictures would need to be at least 300 dpi. anyone can start sending pictures to rtjw@valornet.com. We will select probably 20 to 30. We will need your name address and telephone number included.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ok, I'm a little slow on the uptake. Please don't take this as squelching an idea, but I have a few questions regarding the intent of this publication.

What is The Penturners Almanac? A one-shot wonder? An annual book? A monthly magazine?

Who is the target audience? Pen turners? (Or maybe pen makers is a better term.) The general public? Pen collectors?

What is the content going to be? Reprints of articles on the sites? Reprints of pictures from the site? How-to's?

If you print 20-30 pictures of penturners and their pens, how will you decide who/what to include?

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions, but these would at least give me something to think about.

rtjw

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Ok, I'm a little slow on the uptake. Please don't take this as squelching an idea, but I have a few questions regarding the intent of this publication.

What is The Penturners Almanac? A one-shot wonder? An annual book? A monthly magazine? It will be a once a year pblication

Who is the target audience? Pen turners? (Or maybe pen makers is a better term.) The general public? Pen collectors?Not to sound sarcastic, but why would a penturning site print a magazine for pen collectors. It will all be focused towards penturners

What is the content going to be? Reprints of articles on the sites? Reprints of pictures from the site? How-to's?The first one will deal with different states of penturning. There will be articles on the state of the IAP, TPS and PMG and Yahoo if they decide. There will also be some tool reviews.

If you print 20-30 pictures of penturners and their pens, how will you decide who/what to include?I will pick 20 or 30 pens to put in a penturners gallery. No specifications.

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions, but these would at least give me something to think about.

low_48

I would enjoy some cartoons or jokes randomly placed throughout the almanac. Any artists out there? How about a wood identification section? Really like the idea of the almanac!

Ron Mc

Johnny,
I've given this a lot of thought and I believe that this type of magazine would be great for the pen turning world. It would benefit all of us that take pride in every pen we turn and help all of us get the acknowledgement we both have earned and deserve.
I hope it's not to late to send pictures of pens. I would also be willing to assist you in any way possible in regards to articles or anything else.
If you don't mind I would also like to purchase add space to help get this thing rolling.
I personally feel that it should be more than once a year. We have a lot of knowledge in the depths of all of the forums and I'm sure that once this gets rolling more and more will want to assist.
Count me in for my subscription and anything else.
Wait a minute.....We have a SWAT coming up in Waco, TX. Why not have someone there taking pictures of all of the pen turning events we have planned?
[;)]

rtjw

All of those sound great Ron. I am going to SWAT and I know Jeff is in charge of penturning. It would be great to get something big going with the SWAt every year about penturning. Maybe a Texas Symposium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom