Full Review The Magnetic Vertex Rollerball Pen from PSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

This review Is regarding the Magnetic Vertex rollerball pen from PSI. Not the fountain style, and not the click pen.

This kit costs 11.20 dollars. This is for the chrome/gun metal kits, from exotic blanks, and does not include bulk discounts. You will also need a set of bushings and a 10.5mm drill bit (~10 dollar one-time expense)

The Standard Magnetic Vertex is a single tube pen. It is relatively simple to turn, requiring no tennon cuts or taper. It has a three inch tube size, and two couplers that get pressed in. The front and back sections are interchangeable. The instructions are pretty simple. Press in couplers, screw in end cap and nib. I wear ear plugs because it makes that awful metallic squeaking I can't stand. Make sure you don't lose the rollerball spring!

Okay, I honestly did not think much of this pen when I first made it. But it HAS grown on me. I made one out of carbon fiber/gun metal and it really did come out nice. It has more of an industrial/rugged look to it, as opposed to the fine and sleek look most of us get used to with the gents, statesman's and the like. The couplers actually protrude over the top of the tube, which might make it feel like you did a bad job on your fits, but they are rounded and again, contribute to the "rugged" feel. The hexagonal shape of the nib, cap, and end really do go together nicely. The magnet is not very strong, so don't expect a satisfying "clack" as you would with a Zen, but the surfaces have enough contact that a strong magnet isn't really necessary. The plating on mine have held up well, I don't notice any scratching around contact points like the bottom of the cap and the nib surfaces. This is only for the gun metal and chrome options, I do not trust most gold finishes. I will edit this post later if I work up the money to buy and test a gold kit.

A note: while this pen only has a three inch tube, the finished size is considerably longer than the Zen. It has a lot more metal meat to it. I thought that was interesting.

This pen looks great with synthetics. Carbon fiber, braided steel, copper, acrylics and tru-stone all turn out awesome. M3 as well, if you are willing to get that deep into a pen.

For an 11 dollar pen, this really is the way to go if you are into synthetics. The Zen and Graduate look better with wood, but this one is definitely "industrial made"

I do like this pen. I probably will not stock a whole bunch of them, as they have a more limited audience, but they are pretty neat. You can certainly use them with wooden materials, but I prefer them with synthetic materials. Cool pen, definitely a guys thing, they've got my OK

*I do not have experience with the fountain version of this pen. If someone could clue me in on whether the nibs are comfortable to hold, leak, etc. that would be A+

Cheers everyone!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LL Woodworks

Thanks Randy - I made a few of these with box elder burl barrels, couldn't give them away. Took them apart, re-made them; one with a braided stainless blank, one with an aluminum/curly maple segmented blank and another with a two color PR segmented blank. They all three sold quickly. Apparently this kit demands a rugged / manly blank.

Thanks for the review.

akingkubo

Magnetic vertex

This is my first one recently made. My husband is not crazy about the style. I like the feel and writes really well. I am going to give this as a birthday gift.
It was simple and easy to turn. I used this red buckeye burl.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 695

tazhunter0

I have done this pen in Antler and it has sold very well. Still have a fountain pen to do that is in Gun Metal that will stay with me hopefully.

Top Bottom